2.0 16v C20XE Conversion - Racer XE

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

those valves got "worn out" written all over them... better replace the whole set and i think you are doing that right now... right?

so sorry to see that man. :(

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
eljunito
Expert

Post by eljunito »

It's sad to see what happened with your engine. I know it's been a long time project and you should exhaust all the possible alternatives.

If the same exhaust valve has broken twice in the same piston, then you should see if the spring valve is not weak or closing on time and when the piston goes up it finds the valve open. Also compare it with the other spring valves. It seems weird but take a look at it. Also verify the guide valve.

Keep up!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't know if the C20GET are forged but there are lots of 8V turbos running 12psi or more without an issue.

I don't really need the connecting rods either.... so you could have both.... but you would need to machine valve reliefs since they aren't really meant for the 16V head.

If you can get a set of C20XE pistons for free it's probably a better idea to use them anyways.

To tell you the truth I really only need the block.... the pistons, connecting rods, cylinder head and manifold won't be used in my projects.

The turbo is unfortunatly a lost cause.... it had a huge crack around the waist gate and a good portion of the housing..... so I disassebmled it to take a look at the internals.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

eljunito:
This problem is not about valve float...

the valve itself decided to break in two... then it fell in top of the piston and kaboom...

mmamdouh:

Yes in going to get a full set...

Erfinder:

IF i cannot continue with the XE proyect then we will talk about those parts.

Im getting 1 piston not the whole set.

Efrain.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Here's some pics of the wiring process,

Thats was its first day of life...

Efrain.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

did you change the valve springs? if you did, then the spring pressure closeing the valves might be too strong. thus breaking the valve due to the slam shut effect the spring might have on the valve.
:just my two cents:
got drift?
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

debo890 wrote:did you change the valve springs? if you did, then the spring pressure closeing the valves might be too strong. thus breaking the valve due to the slam shut effect the spring might have on the valve.
:just my two cents:
Standard springs...

the valves are corroded and got weak with time and rust...

Efrain
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Just got a call from my house....

Yay!!!! the package with the new valves and the piston arrived today!!!!

:D :D :)
cielo20

c20xe bhp

Post by cielo20 »

hi efrain are you sure your engine is 150bhp as the specs of my vauxhall c20xe are 156bhp 150lbs torque and was stated that standard engines were found to be higher than the 156 bhp stated by GM.
Roadrunner 16V

Post by Roadrunner 16V »

there are 3 versions of the XE. The C20XE has 150hp. Second is the XE without catalyst, is called 20XE and has 156hp. then gives it still the 20XEJ with 150hp.
cielo20

xe engine

Post by cielo20 »

well mine is the 20xe so its the 156bhp version!
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Still no progress... my mechanic is kinda busy with a NSX (changing the engine for a high spec one)

Today he told me that tomorrow he will start to work with my head.

Efrain.
cielo20

engine build

Post by cielo20 »

hi efrain why dont you do it yourself its not a complicated job to rebuild the head! then just take it to the mechanic to be assembled and for timing belt!

my new timing belt/roler and tentioner are here at last they cost too much over here! have you ever changed yous ? if yes how much did you pay for the kit ? here they charged me 196 euros but today found a guy who will get me the same kit at 122 euros and thats a blooody differance in the price! :evil: :!:
Efratech
Admin

Re: engine build

Post by Efratech »

cielo20 wrote:hi efrain why dont you do it yourself its not a complicated job to rebuild the head! then just take it to the mechanic to be assembled and for timing belt!

my new timing belt/roler and tentioner are here at last they cost too much over here! have you ever changed yous ? if yes how much did you pay for the kit ? here they charged me 196 euros but today found a guy who will get me the same kit at 122 euros and thats a blooody differance in the price! :evil: :!:
The thing is that the head was slightly damage when the valve broke, so he has to fix it first.

And no, i dont have a new tensioner, that will be the next step + arp rod bolts.

Efrain.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Update:

Finally i have a couple of cents to spend on the car.

Got the head back today from being a little bit skimmed. Next week my mechanic is gonna finish the work on the damaged chamber, mesure the CCs, assemble all the head parts, put the head back on the block and then startover where we left it last time... tunning the ecu.

Efrain.