Project Daewoo Lanos 2.0L Turbo

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Project Daewoo Lanos 2.0L Turbo

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Project Daewoo Lanos 2.0L Turbo has officially started.

I just picked up a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo last night for about $900 USD.

I will keep everyone up to date with my progress as I pull the engine and rebuild it for the purpose of dropping it into my Lanos.

I my original goal was 200WHP but I have revised that to 250WHP (without Nitrous)
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

excellent work. Does it look like it will just slide right in there? Also keep in mind that you'll need a nubi tranny.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Good man star to post pics fron now..... 8)
ImageImage
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Great! i love that, you cant image how happy i am, GOOD luck on the proyect, also the front dics/calipers may fit you of course if you have 14? wheels, i have fittied Daewoo espero brakes to my Racer now i have to use 14? wheels since the 13? wont fit :roll:

again GOOD LUCK ! 8)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm not sure how much power the Nubria tranny will be good for so I may end up importing a tranny from the UK

Here is what they tend to use over in europe for this high powered turbo 2.0L engine....

Getrag F28 Six Speed Calibra 4x4 Turbo Gearbox Converted to 2 Wheel Drive. Quaife ATB Limited Slip Differential, Helix Race Spec Paddle Clutch and Clutch Housing

I will have to see how much it will cost me... I may need to order it right now and send it ocean freight which can sometimes take a month or two (but it's the cheapest method of shipping)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I may and try to get a website going to show off my swap but I can't promise anything since I'm really busy these days.

You guys will have to be patient with this project since I plan on rebuilding it from top to bottom in my shop and it might take a few months before anything gets rolling along.

My timeframe for completion is next spring if all goes well.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I don't have much time right now but I thought I might drop a quick update into this forum.

As suspected both the lanos tranny and engine mounts look like they will bolt up to the 2.0L turbo but there is an issue of the block being 2" larger than my little 1.5L SOHC. (I'm from Canada)

Unfortunatly there are some clearance issues that have to be worked out before I go too much further since I seem to only have 1.25" of clearance and need 2.0" :cry:

Needless to say there may be some solutions to the problem but I have to consult with another local ( GsiTurbo ) to figure out the exact amount needed. ( hard to measure without the engine pulled out )

I will update this progress as much as possible and I hope everything works out for the best.... I think 250hp in a Lanos would be incredibly fast.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

what do u mean about the clearance?

my old engine was a 1.5 ohc :?:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I was worried about the clearance of the alternator and power steering pullies on the left side of the engine.

I had a local guy that did the same 2.0L Turbo swap into his Pontiac Lemans (basicly a Lanos) come over to my shop today and we measured up the engine bay.

As he thought (I wasn't sure) they are identical in allmost every way.

All of the parts are interchangeable and I should be left over with 1/4" to 1/2" of clearance on the left side of the engine.

As such I'm going to proceed with pulling the engine and I'm thinking of dropping it into the Lanos as is just to see if there are any problems.

He gave me a ride in his "Astra Gsi Turbo" conversion (Pontiac LeMans here in Canada) and it is pretty damned fast even though he has it turned way down to only 5 Psi of boost.

He has a cracked head so he was being very carfull with it.

I think he said he's running about 185 WHP at his normal boost level of 12PSI.

Hopefully he will post on this board....I just gave him the address.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

He was also saying that the Daewoo spec F20 5spd is no where near as good as some of the other F20's made elsewhere in Europe.

I think he said his F20 that he bought is coming from Sweden.

I still like the idea of dropping an F28 six speed into my Lanos but I'm sure the F20 will do just fine.

I noticed that Quaife makes Limited Slip Differentials for the F16 (Lanos), F18, F20 (Nubria) and the F28.

He also mentioned that the European Lanos 5spd F16 is geared differently than ours here in North America.

My Lanos redlines at 50km/h (31 mph) in first gear and about 80km/h (50 mph) in second gear.

Obviously this is not great for 0-60mph times since you have to shift into third just to hit 60mph.

Apparently the European version redlines at about 68mph so it makes for a faster car.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

well the thing about the F28 it has LSD, but if i were u try a F20 with a Quaife LSD,

its great to now Gsiturbo is helping u... great guy
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I've seen Quaife LSD's for the F28 as well.... typically requries taking an AWD F28 and converting it to a FWD.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Update....

I am very close to pulling the engine, just have to remove the last little bit of wiring to the starter and sensors at the rear of the engine.

I need to get it onto my engine mount before the snow hits or I won't be able to push my Sunbird in and out of the shop each night.

(yes....I live in Northern Canada where it can snow at any time in the fall....usually not until mid October but you never know)

It's allready hit freezing a couple of times allready ( 32 deg F --> 0 deg C)

Leaves me wondering what happened to fall....I hope it warms up.

I have over 50 pictures so far with step by step pictures of every single wire/connector and nearly all hardware removals (fuel lines,power steering)

I hope to get a site up to post the pictures after I have the engine out.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Great work. Keep snappin' those pictures and documenting everything
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Just got my GM factory manual for a 1987 Sunbird....has complete info on anything and everything in all models of Sunbirds of this year.

I have all the tolerances and specs for the engine as well as wiring, diagnostic codes, diagrams explaining how the sensors work...you name it and it's in there.

Great deal....just $14.50 plus shipping off of EBAY ( they are normally several hundred dollars)

Needless to say this will help with the install into the Lanos because I will know where every single wire and senor is supposed to go. :D :D