A Whole Host of Questions.

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

A Whole Host of Questions.

Post by BosnianLanos »

I have a bunch of questions, and I don't think they have been answered in prior posts, so bear with me...thanks.

1. Does the Lanos have a starter immobilizer system? (Re: Remote Start)
2. Does the Lanos have a drain plug for the antifreeze or do I have to disconnect a pipe?
3. My A/C doesn't work but belt still spins the compressor. Will I notice any gains by cutting the belt or can I throw my entire engine out of whack?
4. About how much do the Heater and A/C units weigh? (condensor, compressor, tubing, heater core, heater, fan...etc.) Is it worth the time removing them to save a little bit of weight?
5. Does the power steering fluid have a drain plug or do I have to siphon it out?
6. Is the only way to change ATF fluid by removing the pan?

Please answer guys, My 'Woo needs an overhaul. The weather and timing are finally right so I would like to start working this weekend and on into my vacation for Christmas.

All questions are regarding 1999 Daewoo Lanos 1.6L 16V AT.

Gracias,
Damir. (Noob)
Neon Driver

Post by Neon Driver »

3 yes you will can lose the belt, you will see a little performance increase as it's one less thing for the motor to spin.
4 Not sure about the Woos but in my neon the entire HVAC system weighs about 100lbs. this eqautes to about a .10 in the quater mile.
6 it's best to let the pros do the ATF as you need a machine to get ALL of the fluid out. not sure what it costs in the durty south but here in the great white north it's about 80 cdn, including a new filter.

AC
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

1. the car has a starter imobilizer yes using the keycode in the key (dont c what this has to do whit remote start though?)
2.nope no drain plug :cry:
3.geus so although it only pulls a pulley wich aint connected to anything when the magnetic coupling aint set so dont think you will "feel" it
4.the entire system does have some weight so removing it can help yes
5. again no drain plug
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

2. yes its at the bottom of the radiator, looks like a wing nut
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Thanks all.

A few more questions now.

1. The antifreeze "wing nut" is it on the left, middle, or right of radiator (looking from front of car). I looked a while back but didn't see it. Is it in plain sight or hidden by a tab like Mazda cars?

2. A few months ago I changed out all of my stock speakers but kept the Daewoo head unit. Originally all was good but soon my sound quality went way down, CD player stopped working, and it seems as though I can't tune into stations I previously could (can't find them on autoseek). I heard the Daewoo speakers had a wierd Ohm rating and should be changed if you are changing a head unit, is the reverse the same (changing speakers first could mess up a head unit?).

Thank you,
Damir.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i think its on the right but let me go check
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

yep i was right but you have to get under the car to see it, its in the right corner at the bottom
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Thanks man!
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

So Basically, I could take all of the following out and my car would still be able to run... or am I kidding myself. I believe all of the following diagrams are of the HVAC system (none of which works in my car due to high Daewoo quality). Can I take all of this heavy Sh*t out and still have my car running?

A/C Assembly

Heater Assembly

Blower Assembly

Evaporator Assembly

Thanks all, sry for all the questions but again, it's finally the time of year that I can work on my car.

Damir.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

wait, none of this works? what do ya do if the windows fog up?
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Pray... :D.

My blower works but it's completely useless, if my windows fog up I crack a window... If its raining outside, which it usually is, I'm basically screwed. The Rain X Anti- Fog treatment works but barely. IDK, it doesn't really bother me. I'd fix it all but A). A new compressor would put a lot of stress on my high- mileage engine and B). It never gets cold hear so I don't need a heater. C). With both of those gone it is completely useless to have a blower and D). I have no clue what an evaporator does but I'm assuming I don't need it.

So... can I take all this worthless junk off and still have my car run?

BTW. When I finish, all the stuff will be for sale dirt cheap, because most of it don't work.

Damir.
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

*BUMP*
:shock:
Will my car still work with all this gone?

Thanks,
Damir.