Problem with brakes... pls help...

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

coquiboricua

Problem with brakes... pls help...

Post by coquiboricua »

I just bought a 1999 lanos bh 1.5l, everything is in its place and properly working except :( that i noticed sometimes when i hit the brakes it makes a strange sound like rubbing metal... im worried and have no idea what it could be... I just wondered if any of you guys have had this problem before and what could be the problem..
coquiboricua

Post by coquiboricua »

by the way its not the usual sound u hear when the pads are worn... they maybe worn aswell but theres has to be something else... any comments on what it may be??
norman
Junior

Post by norman »

moin,

where the sound comes from? front or. back? how many km/miles at the clock?

drive 70km/h or. 45mph and hands off from the steering wheel and maximum breaking.pay attention when you doing that. the car must stay in line. when not, you know which side make the trouble and you know than, that a part which is directly involve in the breaking process is defect. maybe a broken pad...
have you a shaking in the steering wheel during you braking or driving?

tschau norman
coquiboricua

Post by coquiboricua »

Well im pretty sure its coming from the front, but i dont feel any shaking at all...
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

You probabally let your brake pads wear down to the bare metal.

Happened to me once because of a mix of no squeaking when the pad was low and being too damn lazy to check it.

It makes a horrible noise, like you unleashed a troll in your engine compartment. A loud sorta strange growling noise. It is especially loud when you are driving by a building and you can hear the echo through open windows.

Its not too hard of a fix but it sucks because you have to completely replace the rotors and pads because the bare metal on the pads will have worn deep grooves into the rotors.

Both rotors and pads are fairly easily accessible parts so that shouldn't be a problem and the price isn't horrible.

BTW: How many miles are on the car? If it is like more than 60K and you have never changed the brakes, there is a good chance that this is it.

IDK, thats my two cents, GOOD LUCK!

Damir.
coquiboricua

Post by coquiboricua »

Well the car has 29,000 miles on it but its a 99 so im not sure... ill be cheking the pads this weekend, i dont need to use it during the week because i can walk to the college, but thanks anyways guys appreciate ur help...
coquiboricua

Post by coquiboricua »

BTW it doesnt make that sound all the time just sometimes like when i hit the brakes hard going high speed is there a chance that i might not have to change the rotors and just the pads if that would be the case?