How to remove drum brake

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Daniel
Expert

How to remove drum brake

Post by Daniel »

For those having hard time removing drums due to inside lip here is a trick I want to share.
Since the self-adjusting strut is in contact with the wedge of front shoe and with the lever of rear shoe in order to hold the correct clearance, we want that both shoes will become as close as possible.

To do so:
-Completely slacken the parking brake cables at equaliser nut. The clearance drum/shoes is higher now but the lever travel is limited by its stop button.
-Make/use a straight angle steel wire hook that can pass trough the detent screw’s hole. Grasp the lever by behind and pull it to overcome its stop button. You’ll probably hear a "tong" that means that both shoes are closer now, giving you some tenths of more clearance so you can remove the drum more easily.

Hope this will help.

Shoes
ATE (400 x 237).jpg
Hook
P1040468 (400 x 300).jpg
Drum removed for clarity
P1040472 (400 x 300).jpg
MMamdouh

Re: How to remove drum brake

Post by MMamdouh »

good idea... but it won't work with the newer models that have the drum and center hub as one part as their is no hole to let you probe to the stopper

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

MMamdouh wrote:good idea... but it won't work with the newer models that have the drum and center hub as one part as their is no hole to let you probe to the stopper

MMamdouh
Can't you pass trough a screw hole then? Didn't exists?
DB4272 (400 x 261).jpg
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i think you can... the wheel holes seems to be on the same arc as the retaining screw hole in the pics you posted earlier... i think it will work perfectly on the lanos

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Hi MM,

You're right too. It seems some drum (Matiz) has no detent screw hole and are fitted with hub bolt inserts. So there's no way the trick will work in this case :( .