Worked 1.5 lanos hatchback engine?????

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

pedronicus

Worked 1.5 lanos hatchback engine?????

Post by pedronicus »

Ok here we go, Firstly hello to my fellow forum members and thank you for the advice i have gained thus far...

A little background on my mech knowledge, back yard mech with mechanic friends, but that was back in the day when i built up my 1969 LC Torana XU1..
big engine rebuild cam head carbys the whole show... so u know where i am, i havent got a clue about this little pocket rocket i have now.. i love this thing and i want to know this... can i just take a 1.8 engine to a shop get them to bore it out shave the head cam it up and do all the intake port and polishing and what ever needs be done to this new type of engine... Put that into the Lanos 2002 model hatchback with the 1.8 chip in it ???

now i did read a thread where it was said that hotting the engine up for lack of a better word and using the standard chip would result in the engine running sick...!! as in not very well because the chip would be trying to fix the engine as it reads it as not running correctly.. is this the actual case? having said that is thier a good chip i can put in the lanos as it is now? while i am waiting to save the cash to rebuild the 1.8 engine i have in the shed..

Cheers..

PS i will take some pics of her tomorrow and upload them

spec 1.5 sohc i think lol
pod filter
sports exaust
14 factory rims
new plugs "boch" and leads

thats all i have done to her so far.. of and the stero system... pioneer head unit and 6*9 on the back shelf..
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Re: Worked 1.5 Lanos hatchback engine?????

Post by gse_turbo »

perhaps someone has found something that I'm not aware of but in all my years I have never seen a chip or a re-flash for the stock ecu.

the best and least expensive option is a piggyback ecu. I think the AEM unit is the best at the moment. a piggyback is nice because even a beginner can make good improvements without deviating far enough from the stock tune to cause damage.

the biggest restriction to the stock ecu and even a piggyback is that they use whats called a "narrow band" oxygen/lamda sensor. the narrow band can make the engine unpredictable and it will throw an engine code in a heart beat because it can't keep up with the changing conditions of the engine.
the solution is "wide band" oxygen/lamda sensor. this is what a stand alone (aftermarket/high performance) ECU would use. there is a company that makes a conversion module for the stock ECU to use this newer technology. the company is Zietronix and the module is the ZT-2.

I've had a considerable about of interest in carrying the brand so I will post a group buy.
benzino
Expert

Re: Worked 1.5 lanos hatchback engine?????

Post by benzino »

hey mate, welcome to the forum.

what 1.8 do you have to put in it?
if you're thinking about the 1.8 that came out in TS astra's, that won't fit, it's a small block and our cars use big blocks (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.2)
I did a 2.0 swap and that was relatively painless, if you have time...

another aussie member on here grabbed an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and turned the pressure up a little bit and got good results
that's a quick and easy mod
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

actually the 1.5 and 1.6 in all it's forms are the "Small Block". the 1.8 (NON VVT), 2.0, 2.2 are the "Big Blocks".

that being said there is a 1.6 and 1.8 VVT motor know as a "Twin Port" that is very new and those are considered "Mid Blocks". these are common in many of the newer Astras.

all the transmission bolt patterns are the same regardless so they can all fit, the Mid-Block would just need a custom engine mount.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

i thought there are 2 1.8l engines
the x18xev/c18sel (big block) and the x18xev1 which is a small block with a different gearbox bolt pattern.

i could be wrong though (i did research when i was wanting to do the engine swap, the x18xev1 was nearly the same power and torque but more economical)
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

you're right, there are two. the other one you are talking about is the twinport motor which is considered a Mid Block (size wise). they are completely different, basically the newest technology from Opel/Vauxhall. this family of motors have varialble valve timing. but they do share the same gearbox pattern.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

oh really? damn i could have got one really cheap
pedronicus

Post by pedronicus »

sold the 1.8 engine to a mate , it came out of a four door lanos thats all i know lol
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

it would've been a 1.6 then, people have been telling you porkies

no lanos came stock with a 1.8