Daewoo Lanos 2000 1.5L lack of power on hills

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

saadsaleem

Re: Daewoo Lanos 2000 1.5L lack of power on hills

Post by saadsaleem »

Yes, it is oil as I sniffed it today. I just don't understand. I went to mechanic and he reduced oil well below zero and today morning when I checked the oil level, it was still above max after warming it up. I am totally puzzled that how much more should I take it out. Today I also put Nulon Stop Engine Leak for lubricating the valve seals so that they regain their elasticity. If these seals are only stiff, the problem will be solved within next 500 kms. If they are literally broken, then this engine oil additive won't be helpful. I wonder how much will it cost to put new valve guide seals in Australia.
RichieOzzie
Junior

Post by RichieOzzie »

Where in Aus are you?

Advice is to drain the oil out completely, and bin the filter. Put NO MORE than 4 litres in the engine, no matter what the stick tells you. Then you know the stick is not telling you lies.... they do sometimes!

I think, off the top, the capacity is 3.7 litres with filter change..... but 110% sure it is not over 4 lts.

See how much comes out of the engine first, and then we take it from there.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

it is 3.75 liters with filter indeed

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
saadsaleem

Post by saadsaleem »

RichieOzzie wrote:Where in Aus are you?

Advice is to drain the oil out completely, and bin the filter. Put NO MORE than 4 litres in the engine, no matter what the stick tells you. Then you know the stick is not telling you lies.... they do sometimes!

I think, off the top, the capacity is 3.7 litres with filter change..... but 110% sure it is not over 4 lts.

See how much comes out of the engine first, and then we take it from there.
I am from Ballarat, VIC. As per your advice, I have changed the engine oil. After changing the oil three times in a row, the car is running beautifully. It is extremely responsive and can go to hills easily. I don't know what happened. Let me tell you what I did:

Bought the car
Serviced the car
Changed the fuel & air filters
Changed spark plugs and their leads
Felt no difference

Changed the car muffler with an improved one
Checked cat converter, checked for OBDII for error codes and no problem was found
Checked valve timing and found no problem
Cleaned Fuel strainer in the fuel tank
Felt no difference

Flushed the engine with Nulon Engine Fluch and changed oil after only 1000 kms and put Auto-Rx in the oil
Put Nulon Engine Leak in engine oil (as I was getting huge smoke clouds in the morning after last oil change)
Felt no difference

Put Liqui moly injector cleaner, Liqui moly valve cleaner, & Lucas Injector cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant in the fuel tank
Felt slight difference

Changed engine oil again after 500 kms and added Liqui Moly Anti-friction
Changed timing belt
Felt a huge difference in performance. The car is now running as it should! It feels as if car is much lighter in weight.

After doing so many things, it is very hard for me to draw a conclusion that what made all the difference in performance.
bee_jaye

Post by bee_jaye »

I have the exact same problem, i cant get it up any slight hill any faster than 70km/ph, and thats revving the guts out of it in 3rd, change to 4th and it just drops back to 50.. I have just taken it to a kmart service centre and they gave me the talk about its a small engine, what do you expect, we cant find anything wrong with it, and then they tell me they didnt even attempt to take it up a hill. Im that angry that i called them and said ill pick it up and take it somewhere else. when i tried to tell them about the thick oil, he laughed at me, (im a girl and im guessing he just thinks, eh, she has no idea) and i asked about the injectors and the regulator and so on, (as i wrote most of what i saw on here down so i could ask them about it) and they were just like i don't see how any of this is going to help. everyone in the work shop was no older than 25-30 and I think it is them who have no idea.
Is there anyone who knows of any places in Adelaide SA where I can take my 1999 1.5l manual lanos, where they actually know what they are doing, and dont look down upon girls who just want to understand what the hell is wrong with my car and that i need it fixed..
Oh and as for the octane plug, I can't get to it and I dont have the tools to remove the seat, is this a job i could get a mechanic to do, or will they just try and tell me that i shouldnt do it?
Cheers
saadsaleem

Post by saadsaleem »

I just have a gut feeling that my mechanic did something trivial that made all the difference and he is not telling me. He is just teasing me by saying that I should try to find it through Google. By saying that, it means Daewoo Lanos can suffer from this problem from which my car suffered. If I get the answer from my mechanic, I'll try to post the solution here.

Apart from performance, I just noticed the other day that when I drive car on some high hill and then stop the engine, I can hear water boiling really loud 2 to 3 minutes after I shut down the engine. As soon as car is turned on, the water stops boiling in the reservoir. Is this something normal as I was told by many mechanics that I need to clean the radiator but they cannot understand why the temperature gauge never shoots. Any response in this regard will be very helpful.