Lanos swap.

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

benzino
Expert

Re: Lanos swap.

Post by benzino »

You would have to ask mr g. I have no idea how it would be wired up. I'd be worried if it was speed sensitive.
The hard parts would be: new power steering hoses, modifying the a/c bracket to fit the front engine mount, wiring, and acc belt.
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i was worried about how much assistant it provides compared to car speed as well... i will refer to Mr. G on that... thank you very much on the feedback man and congratulations on the project

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

how's the atmosphere in cairo now the president has stepped down?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

we are thrilled man!

Mubarak is finally gone, the army is now in control and the wheel of reform is picking up speed... now the country will start moving forward after 30 years going backwards

the moral is sky high and we are looking forward to the bright future... look me up on facebook and you will see tons of vids that shows the details of the revolution

MMamdouh
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

That's good news! Congrats...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks my man

BTW i sent you a PM but for some reason it is stuck in my outbox till now... anyways here it goes:

a friend of mine is considering an engine swap using a standard T20SED engine into his lanos... we did find the C20XE here but their is not spare parts for it whatsoever and even the shop selling the engines recommended that we choose something else... anyways...

the issue obviously will the the engine mount and the A/C & power steering pump... we are going to do something similar to what benzino did in this topic but we are not going to sacrifice the A/C or the power steering so the plan would be to keep the A/C compressor as it and utilize one of them electrical power steering pumps... unfortunately i - as well as benzino - have no idea how to install and operate it so i have to refer to you...

i saw the pump installed on your car and i don't think the physical fitment is an issue (am i right??)... the real issue for me so far is the electrical wiring and connection involved...

how will the pump operate in terms of source of power and required amps and all?
is it just going to be a power feed and that's it or does it have some sort of a controller unit or so to manage its operation??

this will lead us to the major concern that me and benzino came to... how will that pump feel at high speeds?... will the steering be dangerously light in operation?... or is their a compensating control to avoid that??

i know i am asking for too much details but you know me... i have to dig deep till i get to the bottom of things so bare with me.

thanks in advance my man

MMamdouh
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705337/20 ... nos/page-4

that might give some hints if mr g doesn't answer straight away

maybe he'll supply the design for the A/C mount as well
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Connect it to the ground, live +12V, ignition (+15V called, when turn the key) and alternator sense (battery check light)...

That's it.. Connect the oil lines and drive!

How does your current powersteering pump knows how fast you are going? It doesn't! So the electrical power steering pump doesn't know also, but on my surprise, power steering is progressing when going slower... It works perfect, better then mechanical power steering pump...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for the reply man...

i was wondering how does the mechanical pump senses the speed as well... and since it doesn't then i have to wonder why doesn't power steering assistance becomes too much on high speeds :roll:

anyways the electrical pump installation seems like a piece of cake... i was scared to find i need a control unit or some shit like that

again thanks very much for the input man :)

MMamdouh
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

ummm
i don't know if this is an obvious answer but ... engine revs...
the faster the engine spins... the faster the pump spins and pressure is restricted through hose size whereas the electronic pump doesn't have that
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

this will mean that on idle and a complete stop the PWS assistance should be minimal... that is not the case

MMamdouh
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

but idle is not 0 rpm
idle is 850-1000 rpm
the pump is till turning at low speeds or stop
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

benzino wrote:ummm
the faster the engine spins... the faster the pump spins and pressure is restricted through hose size whereas the electronic pump doesn't have that
NOT!

At higher speeds, steering angle is narrowed (as you don't steer much on higher speed), therefore, pumps sense this as a lower pressure needed for steering column...

In the 6th gear at idle engine speed, i'm driving around 55mph. And the steering wheel is very stiff... On the other hand I could drive in the 1st gear at 3000rpm 20mph, and the steering is loose...
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

benzino wrote:but idle is not 0 rpm
idle is 850-1000 rpm
the pump is till turning at low speeds or stop
yes i know... this is why i said minimal not null... my point is: despite the engine revs are at 850 RPM - which is the minimum RPM for a normally operating engine - when you are at a complete stop... the pump will give sufficient assistance to turn the steering from lock to lock without too much effort even though a car at a complete stop will have the most resistance to turn its wheels

this means that theoretically when the RPM increase the assistance will increase... also when the car is moving the steering wheel resistance to turn will be less

adding both facts together will result in a catastrophe if you were doing 100 MPH in 4th gear (some 6000RPM) and you flicked the steering... but that doesn't really happen and this is why we both agree that their should be something reducing the PWS assistance when RPM increase or speed increase

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

mr_g wrote:
benzino wrote:ummm
NOT!

At higher speeds, steering angle is narrowed (as you don't steer much on higher speed), therefore, pumps sense this as a lower pressure needed for steering column...

In the 6th gear at idle engine speed, i'm driving around 55mph. And the steering wheel is very stiff... On the other hand I could drive in the 1st gear at 3000rpm 20mph, and the steering is loose...
how does the pump sense that?

MMamdouh