Nubaroo - drive train broken AGAIN!!

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Nubaroo
Expert

Nubaroo - drive train broken AGAIN!!

Post by Nubaroo »

Just when I think I have built the Woo indestructible this happens.....

Thought it was the gearbox, but found the drive shaft snapped off immediately next to the diff inside the gearbox.

Thing is on racedays with my slicks I launch the car off the line at 2.5bar boost(launch control) with no problems.

This shaft was broken running semi slicks on a normal tar road launching at 5000RPM without launch control - WTF????
Nothing is impossible....it just costs more!!!!\

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

368KW/611Nm on wheels @ 2.4bar
benzino
Expert

Re: Nubaroo - drive train broken AGAIN!!

Post by benzino »

maybe it weakened from running slicks and hard launches
and then it just let go after a while

at least it's only a simple fix though, i could imagine things that are a lot worse
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

From people I've talked to, launching with the slicks is actually easier on the drivetrain because they are so soft and flexible and absorb alot of the shock. This is not the first time I've heard of something like this happening. Maybe now its time for custom high strength shafts?
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

exist3nce wrote:From people I've talked to, launching with the slicks is actually easier on the drivetrain because they are so soft and flexible and absorb alot of the shock. This is not the first time I've heard of something like this happening. Maybe now its time for custom high strength shafts?
That's the truth. Is easier on the drivetrain with slicks.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

Car is all better now :D :D :D

I have decided that i will only use high boost on race days when I am running full slicks and on dyno days. When we run the 200m drags I will launch without launch control and only switch to high boost when I hook 3rd gear. These roads here is South Africa is crappy in most places, and I find that the uneven/bouncy roads also pulses the drive train on high boost - resulting in premature drive-train failure.

So the bottom line for me is.......

1) Use ur brains and stop driving like an idiot on the wrong/crappy roads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2)If temptation comes ur way - refer to point number 1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

No matter how much money you spent on ur car.....there will always be sombode FASTER!!!!

exist3nce
Expert

Post by exist3nce »

Nubaroo wrote: So the bottom line for me is.......

1) Use ur brains and stop driving like an idiot on the wrong/crappy roads :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2)If temptation comes ur way - refer to point number 1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL yeah I guess you will have to be a bit more careful where u floor it with max boost haha.
2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - Getrag F28 6spd - KW V3 Coilovers - FX35 Retrofit
2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

OK so last night at the 200Meter drags I launched the car around 4000RPM without launch control and bang - drive shaft broken again....
Asked our local GM dealer for a price on a replacement shaft - -R4500 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Today i pulled out the "split-shaft" system and installed a "new" solid shaft one - -at least these CV`s are affordable - -around R180 each :lol: :lol: :lol:

mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

You have quaife and F23? So you finaly sorted out gearbox problems.. :D
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

mr_g wrote:You have quaife and F23? So you finaly sorted out gearbox problems.. :D
Nope I only have F23....Quaiffe is too damn expensive - R7000 :shock: :shock: :shock:

At least the gearbox is holding up for now :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: will have too look into getting stronger driveshafts and CV`s :D :D :D

mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Nubaroo wrote:
mr_g wrote:You have quaife and F23? So you finaly sorted out gearbox problems.. :D
Nope I only have F23....Quaiffe is too damn expensive - R7000 :shock: :shock: :shock:

At least the gearbox is holding up for now :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: will have too look into getting stronger driveshafts and CV`s :D :D :D
600+Nm is holding?! :tfrag:
It's rated 230Nm...
I have broken 2 (two pcs) of F28 (rated 280Nm) with just little over 400Nm! :minigun:
Nubaroo
Expert

Post by Nubaroo »

mr_g wrote:
Nubaroo wrote:

600+Nm is holding?! :tfrag:
It's rated 230Nm...
I have broken 2 (two pcs) of F28 (rated 280Nm) with just little over 400Nm! :minigun:
Yes I am soooo happy that the F23 is holding up :D :D :D

My tuner has an Opel Corsa C with a 2liter Ecotec turbo setup - he has copied what I have done to the Daewoo, and some more like gassflowed the head with special turbo cams, Precision dual ball-bearing turbo etc etc. This Opel Corsa makes 411KW/680NM on the wheels at 3bar boost and is also running a F23 box like mine, and still holding together nicely ;)