does anyone knows about MegaSquirt?

Forced induction, NA tunning, exhaust, just performance

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

nefary
Junior

does anyone knows about MegaSquirt?

Post by nefary »

I heard alot about that thing . it is some electronics modification on the ecu . I heared that it is good in price and easy to install . and fully compatable with our ecus.
but I need to verify that with someone who use that thing. does any one here can help?
ahmad
Attachments
megaWiring.gif
wiring
(37.14 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
Trackerrrr

Re: does anyone knows about MegaSquirt?

Post by Trackerrrr »

Megasquirt is not a ECU mod, it's a self contained ECU itself. And yes it does work but does take some tweaking with a laptop to work good. I've seen one even used on a Suzuki Katana motorcycle with GSXF injectors modded to fit.
Chris
1999 Leganza SX
nefary
Junior

Post by nefary »

does that mean that I will replace my OEM ECU with MegaSquirt ?
but if yes . that will be a problem that the OEM ECU not only for engine management . but it has many signals to all car electronics . including gauges and lights .

one more question . what is the best Value per Price version of Megasquirt ?
Trackerrrr

Post by Trackerrrr »

Check out the link for answers, I am not an expert on the Megasquirt system:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Google Megasquirt and you'll find plenty of info.
Chris
1999 Leganza SX
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Although the megasquirt can indeed replace your entire ECU you can also configure it so that it works with your factory ECU like a piggy back ( but with more programability )

I have been trying to install one into my GSi but I have had nothing but problems due to the company I purchased the Megasquirt from.

First I found the configuration was completely wrong and that some of the wiring was poorly assembled.

After several months of fooling around I finally received a correctly configured unit with a two year old version of software/firmware.

It took quite a bit of time to configure simply because there are so many wires in the factory loom which are not required and you have to sort through them all and in some cases track them back to the ECU pins.

Eventually I upgraded the software/firmware to the newest versions and then I used a few different maps from the Astra guys in the world to configure my own unit.

Initially I managed to get it started, but it barely ran and would die if you didn't keep the throttle pressed down so the RPM exceeded 2000 RPM.

Eventually upon trouble shooting the issues I found only one of the ignition drivers was firing and shortly afterwards the injector driver also died.

As an electronics engineering tech. I was able to disassemble the board and find out that the company that assembled the board did not use heat sink compound or correctly tighten the components to the heatsink.

As a result the drivers simply heated up and burned out within a few minutes.

So why am I telling you all this???

Simply stated the Megasquirt can be a huge pain if the person you purchase it from does a poor job off assembly and configuration.

You have to remember that Megasquirt is an "open source" ECU and there are dozens of companies creating their own designs, but most will not have the quality control or knowledge of a name brand company like Apexi or Greddy

If you do buy a megasquirt make sure the person/company you are buying it from is reputable and knowledgeable.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Nemasys
Junior

Post by Nemasys »

I bought my megasquirt from DIY Autotune and it works nicely!

**Whoa havent been on here in a while, revived a 2 month old thread :roll:
2004 Aveo Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged
- T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
- HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
- FMIC with 2.5" piping
- Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57
mr_g
Expert

Post by mr_g »

Use megasquirt micro or V3.. All other is garbage...

Or use VEMS www.vems.hu it is a lightyear ahead of a megasquirt for almost the same price...