Performance varies from start to another

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Ahmad Aly 1999

Performance varies from start to another

Post by Ahmad Aly 1999 »

Daewoo Lanos 2002 1.5L SOHC
I believe it's not really a big deal but I just want to know why
I am sure it's been there since new only I started to notice and made sure its there recently

First start in the morning every thing is normal and the performance is satisfactory
Then If I turn it off for any reason and restart again it feels like it performs better

What I am doing now is I start for like 1 minute then I shutdown then restart just to enjoy the difference
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Performance varies from start to another

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Does sound odd, but there can be a number of issues to cause that.

First thing to try is start the car with a multimeter across the battery terminals, let it run for a minute, shut it down, then turn it back on.

What you would be looking for is a difference in voltage, if let say you measure 13.2V the first start up and then 14.6 the second then you may have a charging circuit issue.

I actually had this problem with my Calibra, but I have a voltage gauge so I could see the problem from within the car.

When the voltage was down around 13V the car ran and drove, but it lacked power and stumbled here and there.

WIth mine I could rev the engine and the charging system would kick back on jumping the voltage back up to 14.4V

Once that happens the car comes alive and feels strong.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Ahmad Aly 1999

Re: Performance varies from start to another

Post by Ahmad Aly 1999 »

Thank you for your reply
I will try this next weekend
But also my first drive in the morning is good and during this drive I rev high
What I am saying is if I stop for a while even for a minute then I restart I feel the car response better to gas pedal and acceleration improvement even smoother engine sound