Problem with shifting the gears

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Damic

Problem with shifting the gears

Post by Damic »

Hi,

Lanos 1.5, year 2001, manual transm., 90Kkm, during the driving through town shifting the gears suddenly become harder and harder and after about dozen changing the gears, it was impossible to move into any speed incl. reverse. Well, it is impossible to change the gear at all, and terrible noise appeared in any attempt. Somehow, I moved the car out of the street and ask a codriver to press the clutch pedal and look at engine compartment where the lever that enter into transmission, moved back and forth. The ressistance of clutch pedal is normal. The level of hydraulic oil is ok too. Justo to mention, no strange and additional noise from the transmission appeared before the problem.

When the engine is swithced off, the gear shift moves freely into any speed as usual, smooth and silently.

Any idea where the problem might be?

Thank's in advance
Lanos 1,5 sedan 2001, LPG Lovato-Loveco Pro
MMamdouh

Re: Problem with shifting the gears

Post by MMamdouh »

just to be 100% sure it is not a hydraulic issue.. remove the rubber cover on the slave clutch piston... if oil dripped then the piston is bad and needs changing

other than that i suspect the pressure plate

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
fltofancy2

Post by fltofancy2 »

Your throw out bearing has packed it in. Time for a clutch job. The terrible noise you hear is the throw out fork rubbing against the pressure plate or, more likely, the inner and outer housings of the throw out bearing rubbing against each other. Sounds like a banshee screaming. Put a new clutch and bearing in.

Fltofancy
Damic

Post by Damic »

Thank's a lot for replies,

Indeed, it seems that the clutch is ready for exchange. Yesterday, I bought the parts and tomorrow should go to the service.

best regards,
Damic

Post by Damic »

MMamdouh wrote:just to be 100% sure it is not a hydraulic issue.. remove the rubber cover on the slave clutch piston... if oil dripped then the piston is bad and needs changing

other than that i suspect the pressure plate

MMamdouh
MMamdouh, you were right, both pistons were bad. As the transmission were already removed, whole clutch assembly was changed too.

Best regards,