Heat/Air/Vent Control problem?

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

xXRachaelFaceXx

Heat/Air/Vent Control problem?

Post by xXRachaelFaceXx »

My heat controls aren't working rights. My defrost is on my feet, the vents are on the floor and floor is coming from the vents etc. How do i fix this? (My window fogs a lot.)
Trey05Woo
Super

Re: Heat/Air/Vent Control problem?

Post by Trey05Woo »

Very annoying (and common problem) with Daewoos. You need to remove the HVAC control unit and behind it will be a series of cables with loop like ends which clip on to the knobs which you turn to adjust your comfort settings.

usually these loops either loose their tension, or the plastic tabs they hoop into break off. Ive seen various repairs from crimping the cable ends so they grip more to using any type of glue or apoxy like jb weld to leave them on permanently...
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Not exactly the easiest fix, I spent many hours upside down disconnecting and reconnecting heater/vent controls.

It's been a while since I worked on my Lanos, but I believe that some of the controls need to be removed when you want to remove the panel where the stereo is located.

If you don't disconnect correctly the clips break and you loose functionality of the controls.

If you don't make note of where each cable connects you can get mixed up very easily.

In short, unless you have diagrams showing the exact locations it can be a bit of a chore to get everything working again.

How familiar are you with repairing your own vehicles?
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
xXRachaelFaceXx

Post by xXRachaelFaceXx »

Hahaha I basically just started. I'm not very good with cars at all actually! I am very determined though and pretty smart so if I have directions or even a picture/diagram I can do it.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Actually I need to make this fix as well. Cliff sent me a good diagram but I'd have to find it.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

If your car is a Lanos, then it only has two cables: temp control and flap control. Pretty hard to cross since the cables will actually tell you by routing where they go and run like an X across the rear of the HVAC controller. Also your having a problem with ROUTE control, not temp, so focus on the right knob/cable assembly which is air control.
To reach the panel you need to remove the intrument bezel which is like two bolts and then clipped on, and the radio, since the HVAC has two phillips screws which bolt it to the dash.

IT allows you significant room to pull it out and see if the problem is there, or in the flaps themselves.

The flaps are accessible from the passenger side under dash/center console area. Normally passengers will get their feet in there and break or disconnect the cables. Super glue, JB Weld etc will fix it perm.

there is a shop manual posted here on the site somewhere...

I could also send anyone a diagram if requested via fax...

good luck
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

i need to fix mine too! hahaha

the problem with mine is definitely at the HVAC side rather than the flaps

I can only put it on to air coming at me (no de-mist, no feet, no de-mist/face) and also I can't change whether the air is recycled or coming from outside

i tried to take the hvac out to fix the cables but it would only come out enough for me to see the back. i could see that the cables were damaged.

so how do i fix it? how do i take the HVAC out far enough to remove the cables and then fix them and then reattach them?

I need de-mist!!!! :(
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Its almost always the crappy hvac controller :roll: The design is shitty and most of the force is performed there, that is why the tabs usually break or the cables come off.

Funny thing we started getting the typical spring showers here in Miami, and I took the Woo out of hibernation to put some use to it. I turned the knob to clear the windshield and it crapped on me.

Its easier to get to the cables by also removing the pocket below the radio (if you have factory radio) if your aftermarket then the entire radio comes off with bezel. You need to get your hands back there and pull the cables from their ties ( it has a tie which is part of the controller). that will let you pull the controller out and fix the issue. I gave mine a good JB weld, and its working on point now.
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

thanks heaps for the info

it shits me in the rain or in winter having to drive with my window down all the damn time hahaha
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Actually, I'm going to do a write up on this. After fixing the air control, and driving around this extended weekend i went over a bump and the air flow was reduced significantly. Took out the control panel again, and upon a close expection found the recirculation cable's plastic tab breaking where it is crimped on to the cable insulation. i also found the heater valve cable cracking and breaking very similarly. So I ordered all new cables, and will be replacing them.

I'll write up a DIY with pics when I do it...
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
(305) 871-1121

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

to remove the HAVC out of the dash you gotta remove the control cables from the other ends... you gotta remove the glove box completely then you will find two wires (heat and circulation), the third cable is beside the driver's right foot (LHD) and this one is for air source

by removing all 3 cables you can pull off the whole HAVC panel and work on them snappy cable terminals... best material to fix them so far is super glue

broken cable

super glue cured

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

thanks MM, that looks exactly like my cable

that write up should be good too trey
diallo72

Post by diallo72 »

Is a a downloadable shop manual out there for a 99 lanos. No heat.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

there are a couple of manuals links floating around on here. I think you can search and in the FAQ. It sounds like the cable came off your heater selector switch in the dash. this topic addresses that. you need to take the console apart to re-attach it. Good luck
MaXiMiZoR

Post by MaXiMiZoR »

Same problem here!

My cables are both broken. Temp still sort of works but flapcontrol is dead so my windows fog a lot. Tried to repair it but it snapped off again after a few knob-turns. Very crappy designed by Daewoo!
Daewoo Lanos 1.5i 2002
-Bosch Super 4 sparkplugs
-Shark Racing front strutbar
-Pipercross foam air filter
-Cold Air Intake MOD
-Grounding Kit
-Malpassi Rising Rate FPR