LANOS TRANSMISSION/SENSOR PROBLEM

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Puddle31
Super

Re: LANOS TRANSMISSION/SENSOR PROBLEM

Post by Puddle31 »

Thanks for the info Trey. What's a "reflash" and a "TSB"? i would really like to get rid of that camshaft position fault light. in fact I have to if I want to get the thing inspected next time. it won't pass with it on. is it something i must purchase somewhere? replace parts? I can live with the occasional banging in gear, especially since it only seems to happen in the winter and I can control it with keeping the heat off the floor. getting rid of that issue would be an added bonus!

Coolant levels seem to be fine. I have poked around under the dash but haven't noticed anything out of the oridinary, not that I know what i am looking for!

thanks again
DaewoosRock

Post by DaewoosRock »

My Lanos does the exact same thing!!! I'm original owner and it has 61k and it has done this for a while. I was searching the net trying to figure it out and I found your posting. I haven't noticed that it's caused by the heater, but I have noticed it usually only does it after an hour of driving. Here's the pattern, we have a vacation home about an hour and half away. About an hour and 1/4 into the trip, we go past a market. We always stop there to buy food to bring to vacation home. So the car has just run 1 1/4 hours, we stop in market for 10 minutes, and when we go back out to drive the rest of the way, it ALWAYS slams into gear unless I turn car off and restart. It's so weird. At first I thought the car hated that super market-lol. As far as the solution, I hate to say this, but only the manufacturer can usually figure something like this out, and then issue a TSB. I thought it might be the trans solenoid but I don't want to waste time or money part changing. If anyone knows for sure what does this, let us know. Thanks.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

obviously I don't know what does it for sure, but it is absolutely temperature related. My drive is also about 1.25 to 1.5 hrs, and does it near the end of the trip. Turning the car on and off resets something and "fixes' it (at least for the moment!). Something else i have found is that I can tell when it is going to happen by listening to the car shift. if i get to the normal shift speeds for my car, and the car keeps reving and not shifting, if I let up on the gas, it will usually shift. It's kind of like driving a manual, at least with the gas, but no clutch. that seems to keep it from going into that mode. If i have to get on the gas to pass someone or accelerate fast, then it will probably go into that bone-jarring shift mode! maintaining speeds for a while just around the shift speeds seems to make it happen to. I have found that if i am driving in traffic it is best to just pull over somewhere safe and turn the car off for a second and reset it. I have no idea why it happens or what causes it. There are some others that have had the same problem but explain it differently. I wish I had the answer for you AND for me!! I would try to see where your car shifts into each gear, start listening and see if yours does the same thing. Good luck. you can bet that if I figure it out I will post a solution. It's really wierd because this is the smoothest shifting car I have ever felt, except when it goes into that mode!
DaewoosRock

Post by DaewoosRock »

You are right, when the transmission shifts properly it definitely is on of the smoothest shifting i have ever felt. Actually, when the trans starts clunking, it makes me realize how much work an automatic trans really does! The issue at stake is almost impossible for an amatuer to diagnose, but I'm sure it's electronic. It's a computer or relay or modulator. I have thought about trying to change parts until I hit it, but that's not practical. Besides it doesn't do it often enough. I have many other problems with my "bluwoo" (blue daewoo) such as wheel bearings that are shot, a/c issues, engine tap, etc. I'm OLD and the original owner and i baby the car, so I don't feel I should have so much trouble at 62k. I'd love to know what issues you've had and exactly what year/model/mileage woo you have. Where did you get replacement thermostat? I also feel for such a small car,the gas mileage sux. We also have a Honda Civic, which is actually bigger and it consistently gets 10 to 12 more mpg, which is huge. But, for some reason, I still love the woo. Since the Daewoo dealers are belly up, they wont' issue a TSB (technical Service bulletin) but I have a feeling our trans problem is not that uncommon for the few Lanoses still on the road. I was also told it's a delco transmission, same as in the Cavalier, but i'm not so sure of that.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

Mine is blue too..... maybe it's the color that is the problem!!
Mine is a 2000 1.6. I had an A/C problem too, my accessory belt broke. I also had the drain hose get clogged as the guys on here explain. That's how i found this site. I fixed it and have and no problem since. I get about 34-35MPG. I had the factory plastic thermostat break, as these guys described. i didn't put on the metal as they suggested, I shoudl have! I did put the good one on now. i got it at an Autozone or Advance, just because they were close and it was fast. I'm dealing with that transmission issue, I too think it's a sensor problem but have no idea which one or where. It must be temperature issue since it only happens when it's hot. I do have to deal with that Camshaft position sensor code though because the CEL light can't be on to get the car inspected. I'll keep you posted.