questions about ebay items - any good? LMK

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DavesDaewoo
Super

questions about ebay items - any good? LMK

Post by DavesDaewoo »

Looking into ECU chips, engine grounds, cold air intakes etc etc, What items are suitible to buy from ebay, I guess Im askin if anyone has boughten things from there and have reputable sellers to buy from so i dont get crap,

Basically anything to add some horsepower to my 02 lanos 5 spd. horsepower, etxtra kick outta 4th, anything, that could help, also ive asked before but no reponses in regards to the repair CD set for the lanos, anyone tried one?

thanks in advance guys'
Dave
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Ok .. here we go :)

Engine grounds available on ebay will work, but are over priced and come with WAY too many wires than you actually need.
You can properly upgrade your grounds with 2 wires, and they are the ONLY two that make any differance at all. Period.

The two wires are:
1) Battery negative post to the body.
2) Body to engine block.

Anything more is a waste of time, effort and money.

A big help to your electrical system is upgrading the power wire betwen the alternator positive output terminal and the battery positive post.

I recomend all 3 of these wires be replaced with 4ga wire. If you want colored wire, use car stereo power cable, available in silver, blue, red, green, black, purple and others.

If you are cheap like I am, use 4ga black flexaprene welding cable. $0.60 per foot at a local welding supply shop and it is more flexable than the colored stereo power cable.

As for the ebay 20+ HP power speedchip mod, such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33597
it is crap and may damage your ECU and will probbably make your check engine light come on by fouling the oxygen sensor.
It even shows they are just selling you a simple resistor, which if you buy in bulk, are only a few pennies each.
JUNK! Stay away from it.
They are making a killing on that part by charging $3 or more dollars shipping, when it costs them one postage stamp and an envelope.

The generic mufflers on ebay may work well, but you can not hear them before you buy, so you may end with something that makes your car sound like it has an angry bumble bee in a big hollow coffee can. That sound is annoying to everyone.
If you are going to get a muffler, get a good one with a deep tone. I have not yet gotten one, but some of the other members in here have and can reccomend good ones.

Some people on ebay are selling cone filters, Dragon intakes and other such intake items. They work well, and are not too expensive. You will see better HP and if you don't stomp on the gas all the time, you will see better gas milage, too, because the engine is less restricted on the intake and does not have to work as hard.
If you are not installing an intake, then the K&N air filter is a good choice as it is less restrictive. A quick and free power gain is to take your air filter box out and disconnect the resinator that is under it, and then reinstall your air filter box. That is an easy, fast, free HP gain.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

Cliff
Last edited by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz on Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

WTF do you do with the crappy resistor, i.e where would you put it. All i see is a scam. What kind of foolish people buy crap like that with out prior research. Im sure the person who devised the scam is pleased with himself, but in the real world who impulse buys things like that.
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

The resistor plugs into the same place as the Daewootech.net Chocolate Chip does.

Remove the wire that plugs into the air intake temperature sensor (AITS) on the plastic intake pipe that is between the air filter box and the intake manifold.

Cliff
DavesDaewoo
Super

Post by DavesDaewoo »

I have a friend Who owns a hyndai lol daweoos korean counterpart as we all know, He bought a specific kit for his car ( ie engine grounding kit) and he needed to go to the dealer and have a new bolt replaced in order to accomodate the engine mount, Is there a place where the ground wire from body to Engine would go? I am not very mechanical but by the sounds of what he tells me the kit does wonders,. wether its only the 2 wires you explain or the 5 that he has, either way im sure it will help

Also the airbox resinator that you reccomend taking off what does that look like?> im sure its obvious if i went in there but may be better to have an idea of what exactly im removing

thanks for your help

Dave
And i didnt think that the speedchip you posted would work lol, just know theres many types out there, wondering if any of them do work
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Here is an over head view of the upgraded wires in the Lanos engine bay in my car:

Here is where the battery negative grounds to the body, which is also the same point where the body to engine block cable connects:

The easy thing to do is just follow the stock ground wires, copy their length, and attach the new ones in the same places the stock ones attached. Use the same bolt points, but remember to use a wire brush to clean where they attach to get the best contact possible.
I used a dremel with a stone grinding bit to clean the paint away from the body where the battery to body ground point is, so there is more direct metal contact.

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

DavesDaewoo wrote:...Also the airbox resinator that you reccomend taking off what does that look like?> im sure its obvious if i went in there but may be better to have an idea of what exactly im removing...
Here is a pic of my engine bay where the air box was removed.
In front of the cone filter, you can see a hole with what looks like a tube inside it.

That tube looking thing is the top of the resinator.
All you have to do is to push the resinator tube down an inch or so and not reattach it to the bottom of your air box.

There is much more air flow that way.

Some people like to remove it all together, which can be done by jacking the car up, taking the wheel off, taking the plastic fender liner out and then unbolting the resinator box and removing it. Reverse the steps you did to put the rest of the car back together.

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

For more grounding info, read this thread:

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

if you take out the resanator, dont you get better airflow from behind the foglights, and as the airbox still aims downthere, theoretically, more power still. Its a bitch to get it out, but on my legana, after i removed it i thought it was worth it
330w carbon kevlar

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

I think I may remove the resinator from my Leganza tomorrow afternoon when I am changing the front brake pads. :)

Thanks for reminding me! LOL ... I have not done ANY mods to my Leganza. I will get better gas milage by doing this.
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:I think I may remove the resinator from my Leganza tomorrow afternoon when I am changing the front brake pads. :)

Thanks for reminding me! LOL ... I have not done ANY mods to my Leganza. I will get better gas milage by doing this.
remember to take the silencer pipe out too. I just tried a 5000 ohm resistor (thats what the converter said its brown black yellow gold) and it made a very noticeable difference. PLEASE TELL ME IF IT WILL SCREW ME UP BADLY. Oh yeah, when i got rid of all the crap from my intake, 0-100 times went from 12 flat, to 10.7. These were tested on an empty tank of 98 octane petrol.
330w carbon kevlar

-=Exiled=- Chris

Post by -=Exiled=- Chris »

5000k ohm resister isnt the right ohms for the lanos, id have to go back to check my calculations, but if your really interested in sensor manipulating the theory isnt too hard to figure out just research your sensor and its range and what does what, and then corelate that to what ou want it to do and then go from there, i have in my drawer a prototype chocolate chip that utilizes different settings for different stages, so through a switch (maybe a dial)you can set from stock sensor, to a predetermined setting, the one i was working on used 3 setting switch that went from stock, to stage one chip(black) and the nstage two chip(red)

as far as using proper ground wires or at least having ground wires that are giving the least amount of resistance (you dont need no 4guage shit just something decent not like the like 14 or 16 guage stock crap wires) would provide a improvement in your electrical system.

most people buy things like grounding wires and get sucked into the whole cheap horsepower gig.hp isnt cheap, it never has been and never will be, tuning however is different, a properly tuned vehicles can make the difference in any vehicle.

most minor mods(sensor tricks, removal of unnecessary parts I.e. resonators and cats etc..) may be decently cheap, but they are only really for hardcore racers where that small amount could mean that small difference in winning or losing a race, ask any serious racer and theyd tell you how much that small amount can make a difference when colectivly added toghether, a hp here and lb there and it can make that small difference. know you car, tune your car, know whats best for what situations.