Newb Questions

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

bforce

Newb Questions

Post by bforce »

I'm awaiting delivery on my new 2009 Pontiac Wave SE... Its the new VVT 1.6l 5-speed. I have done alot of research here and would like to get some confirmation on a few things along with some questions....i am in Canada, so alot of EU suppliers are outta the question with the amount that shipping would be. I thought I would post here as it has the most traffic and covers most of my questions.

CAI - I have read that both a 92 civic/integra wone will work true?

Exhaust - Seems alot of people using a Magnaflow universal, or a Flowmaster Delta 60. I read the best is to delete resonators as well, all with 2" pipe. (cant touch the cats yet with the factory warranty)

Tires / Wheels bolt pattern 4x100, I have read things about people changing the tire size from a 185/55/15 to a 195/50/15 any benefits to this? is 17" the max size rim?

What else have you guys done, besides internal work, to help maximize fuel economy and performance?

Thanks is advance

Bforce
2009 Pontiac Wave SE
1.6L VVT
MMamdouh

Re: Newb Questions

Post by MMamdouh »

bforce wrote:
CAI - I have read that both a 92 civic/integra wone will work true?
i got a friend with a 1.5 SOHC using the pipe from a 92 civic... had to shorten it a bit though
429427_9_full.jpg
(44.28 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
Exhaust - Seems alot of people using a Magnaflow universal, or a Flowmaster Delta 60. I read the best is to delete resonators as well, all with 2" pipe. (cant touch the cats yet with the factory warranty)
no idea... sorry
Tires / Wheels bolt pattern 4x100, I have read things about people changing the tire size from a 185/55/15 to a 195/50/15 any benefits to this? is 17" the max size rim?
the stock is 185/60/14 if you have the 1600 engine... going to 195/50/15 will give you more grip during acceleration, braking and cornering... it will also sharpen your steering response

i have seen one guy here with 18" rims on a lanos
DSC00879.jpg
(342.96 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
i'd say it is way to big... not due to fitment but due to the fact that you will need low profile tires that are almost like rubber bands... they will be too short and will make the rims more vulnerable to bending/breaking if you hit pot holes... same goes for 17" but it really depends on the road surfaces in your country... back here anything bigger than 15" on a lanos and you are doomed
What else have you guys done, besides internal work, to help maximize fuel economy and performance?
fuel economy doesn't go with performance... they are opposite

as far as performance other than CAIs and exhaust, people are putting turbos and NOS, others are swapping in engines from Opel/Vauxhall such as the 2.0 C20XE pumping 150HP and the 2.0 turbo charged C20LET pumping 204HP... check the performance section.

Also lowering springs does enhance the car's handling... for me i was more into brakes upgrade as the 1.5 SOHC lanos comes with shitty brakes and i have managed to upgrade the front to the 1.6 lanos specs and i have swapped the rear drums to disks.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

MMamdouh wrote:
bforce wrote:
DSC00879.jpg
MMamdouh
cleanest HB i have EVER seen. wow. i wish my body was as clean as that. :shock:

the CAI isnt really cold unless you box it, yet daewoomofo i think tried that with sheet metal.. and i also think it restricted flow alot or something, but basically im just gonna do a hood scoop and have holes on my passenger side quarter panel to basically have a blow through.. that way driving i have a semi force flow.. >.<

exhaust like many have said, straight piping allows the gas to escape the quickest.. yet you need to read up on the engine and see if it requires back pressure or not, and if it does how much about and you can calculate it to make it the best...

the rest; tires, brakes, rims, just like MMamdouh said.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
armykyle1

Post by armykyle1 »

A bigger wheel will hurt economy. Its more rotating mass. My nubi had 14s stock I put 17s on it and lost around 3mpgs! Plus low pros are expensive
Trey05Woo
Super

Post by Trey05Woo »

Ive seen and rode in a Lanos with 18s. Dont know Mm but here in the states, atleast FL its very common to see big rims/small tires on cars. Dudes here stuff 20s on sentras and altimas. So I guess 18s on a Lanos was no biggie. It rode fairly decent too. A bit more hasrh than the factory ride, and take off was diinished it was an auto car.

That Pontiac you purchased is a Aveo? Never seen one before. Congrats on the purchase.

Till I see dyno numbers proving cai and exhaust mods on an otherwise stock engine bumped up performance figures I would say your throwing away your money on a vehicle with preprogrammed engine management. Unless ofcourse you like the looks and sounds.
Specializing in European & Korean Only
Doral Auto Care
5171 NW 36th
Virginia Gardens, FL 33166
(305) 871-1121

BS Mechanical Engineering 12/12 (FINALLY!)

ASE Certified:
Engine Electrical
Engine Performance/Advance
Brakes & ABS
Air Conditioning
WOLFMAN AK907

Post by WOLFMAN AK907 »

You can fit 18's on a Wave, but I think you will rub if you put springs on it. 18's will lift it. I run 17x7.5's with 205/40/R17 tires...no rubs. Also the integra intake will work, but you have to cut it twice.
Last edited by WOLFMAN AK907 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aveo, Kalos, Gentra, G3, Wave, Swift, Barina and Lova owners check out http://www.aveonetwork.com/
Note:Register to view all the forums.^
Farthest North Aveo: Fairbanks, Alaska
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

WOLFMAN AK907 wrote:Hey, come join us at aveonetwork.com. You can fit 18's on a Wave, but if you put springs on it you will rub. 18's will lift it. Also the integra intake will work, but you have to cut it twice. All this info and more is on our forum, I'm an Admin. there.
Wolfman... I don't mind the plug once in a while... but you shouldn't be pushing a forum that doesn't exist ( or so it seems as of 5 minutes ago )

Did you know I was the one that posted most of the original usefull technical information on aveoclub.net

There was a previous forum and the mods locked all the topics and AVEOSAM moved my posts without my permission over to aveoclub.net... which is the reason I stopped helping out that forum.

What pissed me off was that the mods were not the owner of the forum.... the owner didn't even know these guys were locking up the forum and stealing the information.... they had no rights to steal and move information over to aveoclub.net .... nor did they ask anyone's opinion or give a choice.... they simply did what they felt like.

For the most part I find most of the usefull info on that site came from our site... if we charged aveoclub.net 5 cents for every time you guys post something from here we'd be able to pay the hosting fees for the next 20 years.

Bforce.... there are several Canadians here... and we can bring in parts from the UK and EU quite easily... I've imported several 6spd gearboxes in the last couple of years.... it's not expensive to ship if you know which companies to use.

What area of Canada are you in.... there are a couple of us from Alberta and a couple from Ontario that have significant experience in tuning and we can help you out here and there.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos