will 2 15's fit

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

crazy06guy

will 2 15's fit

Post by crazy06guy »

I was wondering if 2 15' will fit in the trunk of a 2000 daewoo leganza CDX? i am starting to try to customize my car.
-Brett-
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:D anything will fit... it just depends on how much money you have.

I can't see two 15" subs being much of a problem.... these days it seems like the sub manufacturers have managed to decrease the required box sizes (compared to 10 years ago)

I personally don't like 15" subs.... they have too much cone mass to reproduce the bass like it should be.

I personally would rather go with four 10" or eight 8"..... if you get real nice 8" subs and get a really good ported box made for them you will swear that the back is filled with 15" subs.

The main difference is in the "PUNCH" of the sub.... 200W into each 8" sub ( 1600W total ) will feel like someone is punching you with bare fists.

The equivilent in a 15" would be like that same punch with boxing gloves on...... you feel both the same but the 8" one would be sharper and more precise.

Of course a whole pile of 8" will fit better as well since you could place them all the way around the edges of your trunk area vs right in the middle like you would have to do with the 15" subs.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Personally, I like the subsonic lows that give you a full body massage of a single 15" in a giant ported box with 1200 WRMS.

I have NO room for anything in my Lanos' hatch area any more.

LOL

I agree that several 8"s pr10"s in a good ported box will sound great, but they just can't reporduce those really deep lows I am used to.

10"s are really nice as they can go quite low.

If you want great sound quality subs that can can also get very loud, look here:
http://www.reaudio.com/
and
http://www.adireaudio.com/

Both companies have a full selection of everything from 6" to 18" speakers.

I'd rather have a large, well designed, ported box over anything else.

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I dunno man... the sons of the owner of International stereo ( very large audio (car/home) chain here in Canada) both had really a sweet setup with 8" subs.

Sid was the south side store manager (22yrs old) and Rod was content to be an installer at the same location ( there were about 6 or 8 locations in Edmonton alone)

These guys had access to anything they wanted.... they used high end Alpine head units with an optical link to a separate DSP unit.

Both of them were using high end Phoenix Gold amps into ported enclosures with Alpine's best 8" subs.

They used an equalizer to drop all the frequencies above 20hz so that the subwoofer system was perfectly flat from 20hz to about 220hz. ( this EQ was one of four equalizers and only affected the low end bass )

Some areas were adjusted by as much as -30db

Then they forced in more power to bring that flat response back up to higher levels.

The subs were rated for 150Wrms and they were able to force roughly 350Wrms to each sub without blowing them.... and each one was super clean... no distortion.... even at the higher power levels.

In total they ran six 8" subs..... and to this day I don't think I've heard a setup as clean and perfect as these two cars.

The bass was lower than any non-equalized 15" setup I've seen...and I've been to a number of IASCA events.... they used to show off by playing some track with some wierd african instrument.... it was crazy ... I don't even know what the hell the sound was.... it was barely into the audible range of my ears.... I could feel the bass more than I could hear it....very very strange sensation.

So saying a bunch of 8" can't reproduce the same sound as a 15" is crazy.... if you equalize it out to a flat response it will be better than a 15" without equalization.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Yes, equalizing and boosting can greatly improve and create a clean, flat response, but the average person doesn't have a budget for a set up like that.

Very accurately tuned systems are more in depth than 90+% of what people upgrading their audio system are able to do because they do not have access to the equipment necessary for such tuning, not to mention many (not all) audio installation shops are run by morons with no clue. LOL

A good HU, a good amp and a well designed ported box, coupled with a good amp and a nice component set will fulfill or exceed most people's expectatoins.

As many people know, when it comes to a good sound quality system, installation is 75%, equipment is 23% and luck that is all goes togeher properly is 2%! :wink:

Six 8"s have almost two times surface area and will move more air than a single 15" sub, and in a well designed set up, will be amazing.

Erfinder, demo an XBL^2 based sub some time, you'll be surprised. :)

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote: and luck that is all goes togeher properly is 2%! :wink:
\

2% ???? For me it's like 15%

I allways come up with these elaborate plans.... make something and realize after it's all done that I forgot to check and see if the box will fit with the trunk down (or something stupid like that)

I've been very lucky so far.... everytime something like this comes up I seem to manage to squeek by.... allthough there has been a couple of times that I had to modify my box for something simple.

One example... I forgot about the CD changer because it was out of the car when I started doing calculations and measurements.

I ended up notching a 1" X 2" piece out of the front corner of the box... I built it up inside and made the same piece on the other side..... then I had to recalculate the port (which didn't really change much)
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

hehehe ... I think most of us have been there when making boxes.
I know a guy that built his box and forgot to check that it could actually fit through the opening of the trunk. LOL

It had to be taken apart and then reassembled inside the trunk!

That last percentage variable is very elastic. :)

Thought people might enjoy watching this:
Adire Audio's 15" Brahma subwoofers @ 170.6 dBs tearing the steel of the doors on a van.
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Scottie ... gDoors.wmv

LOL ... I wouldn't want to be sitting in something like that; I like having ears that work.
darklightsam

Matiz with 2 15's

Post by darklightsam »

Alright peeps,

If i can fit 2 15's in the boot of my matiz you can do it.