Radiator Cooling Fan

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

xpher

Radiator Cooling Fan

Post by xpher »

Hi

Got Lanos 1.4SE 1998
Noticed that radiator cooling fan is running when engine first started (cold). Is it supposed to or is there something wrong? Other cars I've had it only comes on above a certain temperature.

Thanks
nubira88

Re: Radiator Cooling Fan

Post by nubira88 »

Sounds like it has been hard wired to one of the cars electricals.... start at the plug and run through the wiring this will tell you or maybe a faulty sensor?
xpher

Post by xpher »

Hi

Thanks for reply.

Doesn't look like hard wired. Would it be the coolant temp sensor below manifold? Is there any way of checking this? Also could it have something to do with my other problem of engine check light coming on when car gets to temp and revs rising to 2500 without foot on throttle.

Cheers
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i wonder if the relay for the fan is stuck on? from the sounds of it,it sounds like it was either hard wired (like 88 said) or the relay is stuck on. im not sure if the CTS would cause it do do that, i dont think it could but im not and expert. get your car scanned to find out what the CEL is being caused by. if your in that states autozone does it for free, im not sure about other countries though. good luck keep us posted

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
xpher

Post by xpher »

Hi

I'm in Uk and apparently nearest place for sorting Daewoos is about 100 miles away and I wouldn't dare take the car that far at the moment.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

xpher wrote:Hi

I'm in Uk and apparently nearest place for sorting Daewoos is about 100 miles away and I wouldn't dare take the car that far at the moment.
Hi, the sensor you want to check is the "n" on the pic. It's located below the intake manifold on DOHC engine and near ignition coil on SOHC engine. If defective this sensor can trigger a FAN ON condition.
Since you "engine light" is ON and if you have a ALDL connector you can read the error code. Or ask a mechanic to read it for you.

Daniel
xpher

Post by xpher »

Hi
Thats the one I thought. It has a silver end on it that spins round and then a wire with a plastic connector that attaches to another plastic connector.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

In order to check the sensor remove the plug and measure the electrical resistance between the 2 contacts on the sensor. You should read approx:
5600 ohms @ 10°C 50°F
4500 ohms @ 15°C 59°F
3500 ohms @ 20°C 68°F

If results are far from this (shorted or open) the sensor is probably defective.
xpher

Post by xpher »

Resistances seem to check out.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

xpher wrote:Resistances seem to check out.
And what about the error code? Can you read it?
xpher

Post by xpher »

Got nothing to read error code with. No cash to find out.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

xpher wrote:Got nothing to read error code with. No cash to find out.
Try to find your diagnostic connector. If it looks like this one Image you just need a paper clip to read the error code(s) ;) . Post a pic of your diag connector to go to next step.
broken

Post by broken »

Daniel is it possible to use a paperclip to get my codes to show? I have a 1999 Daewoo Lanos Hatch 1.5

PS. not sure what way up this pic goes.

Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

broken wrote:Daniel is it possible to use a paperclip to get my codes to show? I have a 1999 Daewoo Lanos Hatch 1.5

PS. not sure what way up this pic goes.

With A & B shorted and ignition ON (not starting) the CEL will start flashing. Also fuel pump and fan(s) should be activated. Record code(s) if any, switch OFF, remove shorting clip.
But watch this video, better explained than I could: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRoSMhEL3Ms .
All that done under your responsability.
broken

Post by broken »

Thankyou Daniel, the video did explain it great. :)