Camshaft position sensor 2000 Lanos 1.6 DHOC

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tirbuson

Camshaft position sensor 2000 Lanos 1.6 DHOC

Post by tirbuson »

My check engine light also threw me a 0342, so I am trying to change the camshaft position sensor.

I just learned that it is under the upper timing belt cover between the camshaft gears. According to the manual touching anything related to timing belt requires removing million parts including right front wheel. I suspect this might be an overkill just to remove upper timing belt cover. By inspection I see two hoses (AC and coolant hoses) sitting in front of the cover. From the manual I understand that just two bolts are holding the front cover. It seems like if I remove the airfilter housing, and the two hoses I can untighten the front cover bolts. Do I really need to remove anything else for the front cover to come off? Can someone tell me if the sensor can be replaced easily (i.e. without taking the camshaft sprockets off) once the front cover is removed?

I do not want to believe changing the sensor requires more work than replacing the timing belt. That should not be correct considering sensors are easier to break.

Thank you very much.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I don't believe you have to remove more than air filter box and upper belt cover in order to reach camshaft sensor. Providing you don't let some screw fall into bottom belt cover :roll: .

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10276 .

Daniel
tirbuson

Long procedure

Post by tirbuson »

We changed the sensor yesterday. I have a friend who is way more experienced than I am. He did most of the work. Working around a small space, it took us long time to reach to the sensor. If I do it again I would go ahead and replace the timing belt etc. Removing only the upper timing belt cover just for the sensor does not have an efficient time to benefit ratio for me.

When we removed the airfilter housing we realized that there is a third bolt on the lower left holding the cover. After unbolted the piece holding tight the AC hose to the frame we gained some space. When we removed the third bolt, we realized the pulley conveying rotation to the alternator is holding the cover down. We rotated the alternator little to loosen the belt and took the pulley out. That is how we reached the sensor.

Disclaimer: This is just the narration of what we did. It is neither an advice nor a description of proper way of replacing the camshaft positioning sensor.
caprice

Post by caprice »

I just did that on a 01 lanos. Removed airbox and bent upper cover. It took 15 minunts, most of the time trying to get the bolts to the CS to line up with out dropping them. The exhaust cam gear is in the way but it is a quick and simple way to do it.

Also I suggest checking the timing, because that code can set for it being out of time. Remember all check engine codes mean the feedback from that sensor is not within specification, meaning not 100% of the time it is bad.