Post by sheepdizildawg »

the daewoo strikes again.
driving down the road and stopped at a light, and it died and wont start

has spark
spark plugs are good
full pump works
all fuses are fine
was running great before i stopped
just spent 3 hours towing it back to the house AGAIN!

anyone have anything i can check?? i have 2 days before i have to go back to work =[
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

what did it do when it died? ie did it just die, did it sputter. any check engine lights before dieing? how old is the timeing belt and all of the associated parts?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Check fuel pressure.....

Oh man... this is off topic but I'm sitting here listening to rave music and it just so happens that daewoomofo's animated gif is beating his drum stick in exact synchronization with the song! Talk about weird... I can't concentrate now I keep looking at his GIF!

You can also pressure up the rail ( with fuel pressure gauge attached to the grainger valve ) then remove the fuse for the fuel pump.

Then crank the engine while looking at the gauge.... given the fuel pump is not running the pressure should drop quickly as the injectors fire.

This test is just a simple one to ensure that the ECU is triggering the injectors.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

all the belts are fine i checked those right away because i feared it was the timing belt. it was running great. i puled up to the light and like it started dien so i put gas to it and it came back for a sec and then completely dies.. when i crank it all i can hear is the starter spinning.. also what car can i get a radiator from?? i think i may have cracked mine when i was towing it.
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

and the check engine light was on but it has been on for some time now due to the first cat being removed because it was busted up inside.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Oh man... this is off topic but I'm sitting here listening to rave music and it just so happens that daewoomofo's animated gif is beating his drum stick in exact synchronization with the song! Talk about weird... I can't concentrate now I keep looking at his GIF!

lol

it sounds like you have a lack of fuel. how old is the fuel filter. id check fuel pressure like chris said, i wouldnt be suprised if the fuel pump is dieing

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

i know the fuel filter is fine. i unhooked the hose going to the car and cranked the engine and fuel shot out. stupid idea i know but i had no tools in the car when it broke down so i was checking everything i could.
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

i think i might know what it is.
i gave my brother a quart of oil to put into my car because it was running low.
i thought he put it in
checked it today and it was below low. little shit
so you think i screwed my engine??
if i pull the top half off tomorrow what should i look for?
nubira88

re

Post by nubira88 »

dont qoute me on this but im pretty sure your car will run the same with or without oil.... wich is a no you wouldnt have stuffed your engine unless your oil light has been on for ages eg around corners etc.... so its back to the drawing board for you mate possible sensor electro failure or worse cambelt has gone then your up shit creek does anyone have the measurements for a valve spring compressor tool im doing my old head up nubira heads are rare here and will over seas valves fit my A16DMS?
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

oil light was not on, and i think the ecm is fine due to the engine still getting spark and all.. maybe not though
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

for my recommendation barrow a scan tool porb from autozone and check ur obd2, just scam threw ur computer and see what errors u have... maybe its more than one

i never had that kind of problem with my woo, i must be the "lucky" one i guess ;)

well, good luck mate
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

will an ecu from a 2000 lanos fit in a 1999 lanos? or is it different?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Just because you unhooked your fuel line and it spit out fuel..... it doesn't mean it's working correctly.... your testing it at 0psi.... and normally it has to manage 45psi of pressure while flowing.

If for example your fuel regulator is damaged.... there will still be fuel flowing... but not enough to make the injectors squirt anything at all into the cylinders.

Fuel pressure gauges are pretty cheap.... and you might even be able to find a place to loan you one ( such as autozone )

As far as the oil..... won't make a difference.... the first thing that happens without oil pressure is that the valve train will get really loud and the car will sound like a diesel.... it's a very noticeable sound

Next the engine will start to "freeze up" when trying to start it.... you will turn the key and it will be like " rum.......... rum... rum..rum.rum... vrooom" ( where the periods represent time inbetween sounds an vroom is the engine starting and running )

I have been driving my lanos around the yard for a year with zero oil pressure....I had used a 1.6L SOHC block with a 1.5L SOHC head to try and get it running as my winter beater.... but the oil pump was dead and I really really really didn't feel like replacing it after the time I put into it allready..... so I bought back my Optra5 from the friend I originally sold it to and I'm using that as my winter car right now.

So..... I can truely speak from experience on the "no oil" thing..... I'm actually quite surprized the engine is still running..... once it finally dies I will probably drop it off at a scrap yard and put a newer 1.6L DOHC ( Aveo engine ) I have sitting in my garage into the Lanos.

Really...... all you need is fuel and spark..... it should start if you have those two working well.

I belive the ECU's should be the same for all years of Lanos... but I could be wrong.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Another tool you can borow or buy is a compression tester..... then when you crank your engine you can see if your making any compression.

If something has happened where your head is damaged the compression test will tell you right away.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

ok thank you, first half way helpful post. i will run to autozone tomorrow when i get out of school and see what i can rent from them. not in a huge hurry since i get to drive a corvette around till the car is fixed. and does anyone know what other cars have the same radiator?? i cracked mine towing it home