Update and question Lanos 1.6, water/steam from exhaust

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Edman

Update and question Lanos 1.6, water/steam from exhaust

Post by Edman »

I rebuilt my 2000 1.6 Lanos head with new valves/water pump/timming belt over 2 years ago. 5 months after the rebuilt , I developed a small water leak.

last week I removed the cylinder head and found the head gasket blew at cylinder 3. After examining the graphite gasket I noticed the gasket material wore out near cylinder 3. Water was leaking into cylinder 3, the gasket wore out due too water corrosion (graphite material rusted out). between the water gallery and cylinder chamber.

For over one and half years I just added water! I didn't use coolant, because I was too lazy too fix my small water leak! Now I'm paying for it!

FYI: Coolant acts as a lube for your water pump and prevents corrosion/rust. This means it prevents your graphite head gasket from wearing out too! I also got a P0420 code.

So, I just ordered a new head gasket. It's a little different from the last one I bought 2 years ago. The first gasket I bought had a blue sealant, that went around the edge of the black gasket surface. The new head gasket I bought, does not have it.

You guys think I should add gasket sealant around my new gasket?

Edman

PS: I called the ebay store I bought it from, the guy who answered didn't know. Some guy in the back ground yelled "tell'em to just throw it on!". That was their answer.
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

i take it you are going to replace the water pump as well (with the timing belt, ect..) as you don't know what damage you have done to it.

as the gasket goes i couldn't tell you myself, sorry
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

Edman

Post by Edman »

Yeah, I bought a replacement water pump and timmimg belt.

I don't think anything else is damaged, when I pulled the dipstick it looked normal. T

The dipstick didn't have that moca color, which would indicate water mixed with oil. I even drove it 1//4 mile after adding more water. And still no water on the dipstick. I did find water mixed with oil under the valve cover, but all valve lashes and cam surfaces look fine.

Edman
Edman

Images of both gaskets

Post by Edman »

Here are both gaskets. I was being cheap, I just bought the head gasket. Should have bought the complete kit, w/ bolts.

Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

you replacing to cover gasket then
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

Edman

Post by Edman »

Naw, I'm just replacing the Head gasket and re-using the exhaust gasket, valve cover gasket etc..... In the last two years I only drove the car 20,000 miles.

Edman
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

unless the gasket has the sealant built into it, you have to use some.

Even if it does have it built in, i would recommend using extra as their wouldnt be enough built in to feel safe about it ;)
Don't forget to use new head bolts as well, just in case your existing ones have stretched and torque everything to specs

good luck!
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Edman

Post by Edman »

I'm going to have the head skimmed. Not re-profiled or machined.

What do you guys think? Or should I just clean the cylinder head surface and throw it on?

Edman
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

have it skimmed,

it better to play safe,

if you have been driving with a pop gastek it's likely it will be warp a liitle
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,