misfire

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jidasas
Expert

misfire

Post by jidasas »

any suggestions for why my car would be missing and misfiring so bad that it dies? it only does it on cold mornings and if I let it warm up for about 10 minutes it doesn't do it...it also backfired the other day and for some reason when it did it had enough pressure under the cam cover to pop the gasket out...it also pushed oil out from under the oil cap and popped the dipstick out? I've checked everything as far as sensors go..i.e. iac, tps, cps...etc. I also checked the spark plugs...they are all light brown...which means that the spark is good and they are not fouled so what else should i check? any recommendations? need to get this sorted so I can start my turbo work on it since I have another car to drive now.

Jimmy
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

extra pressure in the crank case points to a bad piston ring assuming your PCV is not blocked... combustion chamber pressure is being transferred to the crank case through the worn rings

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

could it be a blocked cat?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ummm... how would a chocked exhaust piping discharge in the crank case?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I don't think i have a bad ring/rings...it never smokes at all if it does turn out to be rings it's ok since I've got new pistons to put in anyway. I'll check the pcv tonight. thanks

Jimmy
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

when it does drive, does it feel like it has a lack of power
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

MMamdouh wrote:ummm... how would a chocked exhaust piping discharge in the crank case?

MMamdouh
my thought was that if there was a build up of pressure from a blocked cat it would need to go some where, and it might have chosen to go through the rings, if they are a bit worn, but im prolly wrong so ill shut my mouth now

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

it doesn't feel like it has any less power when the engine is warm...when it's cold it feels like it's running on two cylinders or something.

Jimmy
mezomaster
Expert

Post by mezomaster »

my conclusion it may be a weak crank angle sensor which works well when it warms up and this causes a wrong firing order which made the compression moves to the block through the rings, this also maybe the module it self, i faced a problem somehow like that before with a module which was making the car goes 3 cylinders untill it warms up then it goes 4 cylinders, piston 1 and 2 was getting the right spark in the right time but the spark was changing from piston 3 to piston 4 in the wrong firing order untill it warms up then everything is ok
>2004 Nubira, 1.6L (Manual Transmission)
>Custom made cold air intake
>Custom made headers & 2" pipe with mid Walker filter and rear Jasma-5Ziegen muffler
>Custom made intake manifold with 2.0L TB and larger injectors (soon to be done)