Code Red, emergency timing belt related assistance requested

N/A tech, Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat backs, Exhaust...etc

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

20aveowoo07

Code Red, emergency timing belt related assistance requested

Post by 20aveowoo07 »

I am in the middle of my first timing belt job, and running into major issues. The 1st one I can keep my marks aligned, when I put tension on the belt it forces my pullys to move and my marks become off.
Issue 2, which tensioner mark do I go by, one set of instructions says to line up the point on the tensioner with the point on the base of the tensioner. the other says the center of the notch.
2007 Chevy Aveo, 34,000 Miles
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

from the sounds of it you are working on a 2.0 or 2.2? what's the application?

either way, my tip is the same....

• for the cam gears, I made a tool that gose between the gears and locks them together. just about anything will do but I suggest locking them together on top and bottom. if you are uncomfertable making something to work that just about any parts store (more so the professional ones) sell a tool for $30-$35 bucks that works on just about all DOHC motors. [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIMING-B ... 13444CLICK HERE[/url] for an ebay link to see what you are looking for. don't buy it on ebay, some shop where you are will have one in stock for the same price.

• for the tensioner, I set mine to the center and all is well but you have to test the belt after. I don't have the exact measurement in front of me but once everything is set you will need to check that there is about .5" of total belt play between the exhaust gear and idler pulley.

***I'm pretty certain on the info but if I have the tensioner stuff a bit off please one of the other experts feel free to put me right.***
20aveowoo07

Post by 20aveowoo07 »

Ok, update, I set the tensioner in the center of the Notch, theres plenty of tension on the belt. Theres very little play, I also replaced the tensioner and idler pully. The water pump is only a year old, due to the car only being a year old, yes I put 60k on the car in one year, all highway miles. The old belt came off and looked as new as the new one after almost 60K. I replaced it anyway. All is looking well, started it up, ran fine. Knock on wood.

I have the 1.6 in the aveo.
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

well done!
20aveowoo07

Post by 20aveowoo07 »

One more question, is the new belt supposed to be louder? It sounds like I have a turbo. It has quieted down some, anything I should worry about? The car runs great.