The Wave is no more.

A place to post pictures and videos about daewoo's and other cars/bikes racing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

derost

The Wave is no more.

Post by derost »

The Wave is no more. My wife was driving to work on Friday and the road was wet. She hit a large pothole that was covered by a rain puddle and lost control. The car crossed the lanes and struck the trailer of a semi, just in front of the wheels. The semi trailer rolled right overtop of the front of the car. The car then spun the opposite direction, striking the concrete barrier in the middle of the freeway and finally came to rest. My wife was more or less okay, with some neck and back pain, and a bunch of bruises, so hopefully she will recover easily. When she called me on the phone I was at work. She was hysterical, and I thought it was just a tiny little fender-bender because she tends to get hysterical very easily. Then I hear a guy in the background asking if she wanted him to talk to me. Im thinking, okay, maybe not so little of an accident. Then he tells me, "Your wife is okay. She hurt her elbow and her neck is sore, but she's okay. The car is wrecked, and we're calling the fire department and ambulance." When he said ambulance, my heart stopped. I don't think I have been more scared in my life. I had to drive down the shoulder to get there because traffic was so backed up. I parked my company van behind the firetruck, and ran! I didnt even look at the car. I just ran to my wife and held her. I thank God that she is okay. . The car on the other hand is toast. And because it wasnt a front collision, none of the airbag sensors were hit and didnt deploy. Here's a couple pics (sorry about the camera phone quality):

"any shorter than 18" and your car will sound like an elephant farting through a straw." - Chase Hess @ j-body.org
proudy

Post by proudy »

shit man. Sorry to hear.

I gather the car is a right off
Pending Signature
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

glad to hear that the wife is OK... sorry for the car damage man.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

that is one horrific crash! and im glad to hear that your wife is ok. a car can be replaced, the love fo your life cant, once again im glad she is ok

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

holy crap dude.... I'm glad your wife's ok.... was that on the Whitemud freeway???

I'm glad to see that the wave did decently in the accident.... semi tractor trailer units can obliterate pretty much anything.... wouldn't matter if it was a Wave or a Hummer.

I know this probably isn't exactly the place to bring this up..... but..... I'd be interested in buying the chassis off your insurance company.... for yet another racing chassis. ( it would become a trailer queen like many of my other Daewoo based cars )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
sim0ng

Post by sim0ng »

i was just thinking that it wouldnt surprise me if somebody bought it, straightened the chassis and got it back on the road again, as it only appears to be front end damage you could do a cut and shut with one which has had a rear ender and nobody will ever know!

glad to hear your wife is okay and just proves that air bags are a waste of time having and when they do go off you then have to spend hundreds on a new dash, new steering wheel, new seats and where ever else they have decided to put them in these modern cars with about 9 or more of the damn things!
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

I'm glad the wife is ok. Shows how safe the Aveo/Wave is. It was ran over by a semi trailer and didn't even hurt the " cocoon" area.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

hey man glad to hear your wife is OK, and sorry to hear about the car.
T18SED Engine.

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

sim0ng wrote:i was just thinking that it wouldnt surprise me if somebody bought it, straightened the chassis and got it back on the road again, as it only appears to be front end damage you could do a cut and shut with one which has had a rear ender and nobody will ever know!
We have new laws to prevent people from rebuilding wrecked cars... once a car has been written off by an insurance company it's very hard to get it back into registerable condition.

I had an oportunity to buy a really nice SUV that was written off due to an engine fire.... I figured it would be easy enough to simply throw in a new engine and a new hood and I'd be ready to go.... but after talking to some dealerships and other shops I found out it was going to cost thousands just for the inspection work.

My plan would be a completely new tubular front end with independant suspension, tubular rear independant suspension, Opel V6 turbo

Then I would take it rally racing :D ........ who knows if I'm cutting it up I might even go so far as to install an AWD system or convert it to a mid engine RWD.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
sim0ng

Post by sim0ng »

I almost bought a vectra supertouring a few months back, 2.6 V6 and every part of it just felt really nice, i took it over to my usial mechanics to get it up on the ramps so we could check it over before i decided to go ahead and but it and found that half the front end had been welded back on and as you cant tell how good and strong the welds are untill they crack, then did a check to find out any info on the car and found out it had been written off a couple months before hand abd I didn't want to put mine and my familys lives in danger by buying it knowing that the car had previously been written off and welded back together and put back on the road again.
(this is the car i was going to get)
ImageImage

Similar thing also happened to my dads old car aswell, it was shafted in the back and was a right mess and just looking at it you could tell it was a write off, then about 2 weeks after it had been written off he got a phone call from a mechanic who had bought his car off the insurance company and had straightened out the chassis, bought a new year quater and got a new tail light from a scrappy but wanted the locking wheel nut key so he could replace the bent wheel and now some unlucky sod is driving round it it withought a clue what a state it was previously in!
(heres a piccy of his car, hes a driving instructor :lol:)
derost

Post by derost »

Thanks all. Yeah, it certainly was an emotional time. The pictures still amaze me, but even more amazing is that the cocoon area was still perfectly intact. The doors still open and close like new. A testament to Daewoo.

I called the insurance company, and the lady wasnt sure if it was sold to the wrecking yard yet or not. But she figured that even if it wasnt sold yet, it would be very difficult to get, because of the new safety laws, and something about being licsenced to make repairs etc. Anyways, she said she would call me tomorrow, so we'll see.

New car is now in our posession. Not a Daewoo though, sorry. :O( It's a 2006 Toyota Matrix XR. Nice car, we like it. It's more for the wife anyways. In about a year and a half, I'll be able to finance a car of my own. Currently leaning towards a R32 Skyline GTR. I've always loved it, and it's heritage in Japan. Then again, I may take that $15,000 financing, buy a Lanos or something, and mod the hell out of it. Im sure Chris and Tom could help me out with a nice turbo'd motor. We shall see.
"any shorter than 18" and your car will sound like an elephant farting through a straw." - Chase Hess @ j-body.org
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

As far as being licensed to do repairs..... that's if your fixing the car to be put back on the road.

Just tell her that it will be a "race vehicle" and that the chassis will never be registered for road use ever again.

They are probably concerned about someone fixing it up and trying to sell it..... If I get it the car it will be transported to the race track on the back of an equipment trailer.

Thanks again for looking into this... it would be cool to have a Wave as a project vehicle.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos