Design To Improve Turbulence In Combustion Chambers

The latest rumors, news on vehicles, press Releases, new models lauches and general Automotive news.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

CHNDROSE
Junior

Design To Improve Turbulence In Combustion Chambers

Post by CHNDROSE »

Design To Improve Turbulence In Combustion Chambers by Creating a Vortex

http://pesn.com/2005/10/13/9600187_Desi ... _Chambers/

Excerpt:

He describes it this way. During combustion, the cylinder volume is very small. Heat losses into the piston head and cylinder head are unavoidable. In order to reduce the heat losses, the burn time needs to be as quick as possible. This can be achieved by high flame velocities, which are traditionally accomplished by increasing the laminar burning velocity, or by turbulence intensity, or both.

The highest laminar burning velocities are achieved by:
1) slightly richer mixtures of 13 : 1 and below or
2) squish promoting in-cylinder turbulence in the charge during combustion.

Ideal turbulent mixture formations prior to ignition greatly support quick light-ups, followed by accelerated combustion. Singh's US Patent 6237579 sets forth to achieve this by Accelerated Laminar Total Clean Burn Combustion. It involves progressive turbulence in the charge as the piston pounds the head at top dead center. This form of combustion further achieves higher thermal efficiencies that deliver better Break Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC).

When Singh incorporated this design into the cylinder head of a test engine, he said the engine consumed between 10 and 20% less fuel, the exhaust was distinctly cooler, and the spark plug, when pulled out, was blue-hot.
Light without shadow is blindness.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

If you read the dyno results, it loses overall TQ and HP. and spreads whats left more smoothly through out the power band.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
derost

Post by derost »

I had a similar idea a while back about cutting spiral shaped grooves (like a rifle), into the intake port, and valve. I used to read (still do I guess) articles on Viktor Schauberger (Austrian WWII scientist) who discovered that spirals would actually speed up air/water flow. So, I thought that not only would it help speed up the flow of air through the valve, but it would help atomize the fuel better and induce a better cylinder flow for more uniform, faster burning. I think these Turbonator guys you see advertised everywhere DO have a good idea by using the spiral to help atomize fuel but their way of going about it is less than optimal. The way they market the idea is like shooting themselves in the foot. Everyone laughs at them without even thinking about the concept. At least, thats what I think. Im just an armchair scientist. This Somender Singh in your article proves it.

@Brian: I just noticed that also. But as I recall, a wider power band is better than a narrow/tall one. It's all about the AREA under the curve, as SCC geek Dave Coleman always says. Plus, you could always put on a turbo kit to get your numbers up again.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I've done some research on Singh's ideas in the past and I'm not convinced that it would be much of a benifit in newer DOHC engines.

The DOHC engine typically have way less quench area than the types of engines Singh is working on.

In my opinion.... putting grooves into the cylinder head of a current high compression DOHC engine would cause detonation.

You allways want to avoid sharp edges... especially in a turbo car..... they tend to be the places where detonation will start.

Most cylinder heads are modeled on supercomputers to produce a consistent pattern of swirl and tumble.

Swirl and tumble help the Air/Fuel to burn evenly and produce the optimal burn pattern for both emissions, fuel economy and power.

I'm not saying Singh doesn't have a good idea..... in fact I think what he's doing with these old engines is great... but I just don't think they have a place in our current engine designs.

Now..... spiral grooved intake/exhaust walls.... that's a great idea.... but the problem is that this type of work is very hard to do on a curved surface.

I would be willing to bet that some of the high end F1 cars use grooves to take advanage of Vortex based swirl patterns... but then again they have a multimillion dollar budget.

Swirl polishing the valve stems often helps with speeding up airflow.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos