Hurricane Isabel

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Hurricane Isabel

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

The hurricane has left 1.8 million people without electricity. I am one of those people. The only way I can post on here is with a laptop connected to a power inverter and a car jump start pack .... or from work, like I am doing now.

There are a limited number of gas stations with power, and those that do have lines of cars 2 blocks long.

Very few grocery stores are open and most that are have no lights on inside as the generator they have is used to run the cash registers, refrigeration and freeaers.

Tomorrow, I will post pictures that I took of some of the severe damage that happened near my house.

There are 2 beach communities near my father's house that no longer exist. There just aren't words to describe what has happened to some of the homes and families during the storm. I have photos the spread out area of debris that used to be one of the beach front communities. The yards are no longer there, as the land has been eroded away and the houses just disintigrated. We could not get to the other, as the National Guard was there and had blocked access to stop people going in & stealing things where the houses used to be.
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

That's bad... fortunally u're ok! is your family ok? :?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

All of my family is ok, and there were very few people killed in the storm because there was enough time to prepare for it or evacuate.

There are electrical crews from as far away as Oklahoma, Florida and New York working here to get power restored. There is more & more working every day, but it will take a long time to get it all back. My house still has no power & I do not know when it will be back on. I do not really care that I have no power, because my family is safe, we have food, water, shelter & working cars.

My best to everyone else that has survived this storm.

:D
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Storm pics

Here are photos after the storm near my parent's house.

http://members.cox.net/cliffredstone/Isabel/index.html
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

The luck of some one is the unluck of other. :roll: Good you are ok
ImageImage
bmiester

Post by bmiester »

hope you got your power back. I'm in Northern VA near DC and I just got my power back Tuesday. Same problems up here. No power, no phones, grocery stores are closed or empty.

I have to say though, for those who stayed behind to try and hunker down, that's just plain stupid. I had a friend in the Outer Banks, NC who refused to leave. The local police told him that if he refused, he needed to write his name and social security number on his arm with permanent marker. And if they couldn't identify him, they wouldn't contact his family.

He said it was pretty scary, last storm he tries to wait out...
rwc4eva

Post by rwc4eva »

yeh isabel was a pain, i live in nc but i didn't lose power..we had a real bad ice storm this past winter and it knocked alot of limbs and stuff down so they redid alot of the power lines and cut alot of trees down and got them away from the lines so when the hurricane came through it wasn't as bad as what it could have been, alot of people still lost power though, i live about 30 minutes north of raleigh near the va border. but anyways hope everything is working again for you guys up there, one of my friends was telling me he was taking a couple of generators up there for his sister n law because they were told power wouldn't be back on for almost a month....

oh by the way this post is really late cuz i ain't been looking at the board much lately
Fa Sho