Maintance time! how do i...

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Maintance time! how do i...

Post by kinkyllama »

Well.. now i almost have 30k miles on my car and i doubt anythings been done to it for maintance(ive had it 15kmiles). So if im leaving anything out that needs to be done let me know please.

1) I need to change the fuel filter but i couldnt find where it was.. i looked in the manual but i may have missed it.. should it be in there? Also will it tell me what kind of fuel filter, like a part #?

2) I need to clean my spark plugs.

3) Clean my fuel injectors.

I think thats it.. tell me how i do it.. and what i use and all that. Please be detailed as i havnt done much to a car.

Thanks,
Dan
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

The fuel filter is located on the fire wall(back of engine compartment). It looks like a blank soda can with two rods coming out of it (one on top, one on bottom) You can buy a fram one here for $9.99: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList ... uel+Filter
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Fuel Injectors won't be really dirty after only 30,000 miles, so don't go through the pain of removing them, I mean, my injectors were fairly clean after five times as many miles, so maybe all you should do is get pour in fuel system cleaner.

Remember to change your air filter if you didn't already get a CAI or SRI.

I don't know if the Forenza has a cabin filter, but if it does it would be time to change that too.

Fluid Check:

Antifreeze: If you race, it might not hurt to change it and add some Red Line WatterWetter which can drop temperatures considerably and maybe squeeze a horsepower or two out.

Brake Fluid: Check for air, maybe switch to synthetic to raise the boiling temperature for racing.

Steering Fluid: Check for loss, no need to change, the stuff lasts forever and a year.

Transmission Fluid: Check and again, maybe switch to racing synthetic.

Lube all the hinges (Door, Hood, Trunk, etc...) and check all of your bulbs and you should be good for another 30,000 Miles.

LoL, this is kind of a drastic check- up :)
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

thats good though... i had my oil changed the other day and they recommended me cleaning my fuel injectors.. so i figured it was probably time.

Cabin filter? like for the AC? i dont use it anyways. . .

Yeah i need to change the air filter.. forgot to put that one in, i knew i was missing something. I really should just get a CAI.. make my own or something. Hmm... I dont have enough time though.. im already buggled down with just getting my car READY for races. Im racing friday, saturday, and sunday next week and i work all during the weekdays after school.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

The Lanos has no cabin filter.

The Leganza has one, but I am not sure if the Nubira has one.

It is not only for the A/C, but it filters the fresh air that comes into the car if you just use the vents.

Cliff
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i don't think the Nubira has it either... i wish the Lanos had it, when i turn the blower to 4 i get loads of dead tree leavs blasting from the air vent... and they smell too.

each summer i have to take off the lower cover of the A/C to clean up that shit and i find loads of it, after the cleanup the smell goes away and the A/C works much better.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BosnianLanos wrote:Fuel Injectors won't be really dirty after only 30,000 miles, so don't go through the pain of removing them, I mean, my injectors were fairly clean after five times as many miles, so maybe all you should do is get pour in fuel system cleaner.

Remember to change your air filter if you didn't already get a CAI or SRI.

I don't know if the Forenza has a cabin filter, but if it does it would be time to change that too.

Fluid Check:

Antifreeze: If you race, it might not hurt to change it and add some Red Line WatterWetter which can drop temperatures considerably and maybe squeeze a horsepower or two out.

Brake Fluid: Check for air, maybe switch to synthetic to raise the boiling temperature for racing.

Steering Fluid: Check for loss, no need to change, the stuff lasts forever and a year.

Transmission Fluid: Check and again, maybe switch to racing synthetic.

Lube all the hinges (Door, Hood, Trunk, etc...) and check all of your bulbs and you should be good for another 30,000 Miles.

LoL, this is kind of a drastic check- up :)
Drastic...LOL thats my regular maintenance :lol:

OK this is a really good check list BosnianLanos, i just want to add little things to it:

as for brakes oil... if it is older than 4 years or 40000 Kms replace it... that oil absorbs humidity by time and that causes the fluid's boiling point to drop.

when refilling the coolant, don't use tap water as it contains miniral salts and those can preceptate in your cooling system... only use engine coolant to refill your system.

also chek your front brakes pads and see if they still got esbestos thikness or if they need replacment.

spark plug cleaning: take them out, use an old toothbrush and some gas to wipe all the dirt of it then dry them and put them back... if they are older than 2 years or 20000 Kms then just replace them.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

mmamdouh wrote:
when refilling the coolant, don't use tap water as it contains miniral salts and those can preceptate in your cooling system... only use engine coolant to refill your system.
They now sell already dilluted coolant. Beats having to try to measure it out 50/50. Do NOT put in straight coolant.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com