drag strip

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

drag strip

Post by kinkyllama »

These are a couple things you have to have to compete at the drags where i live but i dont fully understand/know what they mean. Any helps appreciated

"Rear seat must be installed or sheet metal covering or trunk bulkhead must be installed "
I rather not have the rear seat, extra weight but i dont understand what they mean. Whats a trunk bulkhead?

"Cooling system must have an overflow catch bottle. If your coolant-recovery system is not factory-stock, then the catch bottle must be 16 ounces capacity, minimum"
How do i find out if my cars passes this rule?

Thanks guys,
Dan
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
woo
Expert

Re: drag strip

Post by woo »

im not sure what the back seat deal is about, but it may be a fire prevention thing? The overflow bottle is to prevent fliuds being spitl on the track
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

"Sheet Metal Covering Trunk Bulkhead"

It means that when you take out the seat, you know that huge gap left looking into the trunk, you have to get some sheet metal to cover up the gap....Probablly aluminum metal held on by rivets. Yes, it is for fire prevention and for protection from the odd exhaust gas because your gas tank is back there, and (god forbid) you crash, all of the gas doesn't fly up into the drivers area and ignites.

"Coolant System Overflow Catch Bottle"

In other cars, there are seperate coolant overflow tanks and radiator openings. When changing the coolant you have to drain them and the radiator seperatley (Honda, Mazda, etc...). Our 'Woos and your "Suzuki" have that all wrapped into one with a "Coolant Surge Tank", while we have no opening in the Radiator, we add coolant and junk directly into the coolant surge tank...I'm almost sure it is 16 oz or more. You need to have one because muscle cars back in the day, when the coolant reached high levels, it would just overflow out of the radiator and onto the road or track, and drag strips don't want this because it would make the track too slippery for cars that went behind you. Therefore, new emissions friendly cars invented the coolant overflow tank...which you have!

My recomendations: You should pass regulations with the tank, but regarding the trunk bulkhead opening, check how thick the metal must be at the track, because if they say 1/8 Cold Rolled Steel (some Tracks), that would end up being heavier than our seats, and you would need a plasma cutter to cut it. Leave the back seats, take out your spare tire and carpeting in the trunk, remove all door panels, passenger seat, glovebox and the odd plastic from around the engine bay, fill up your gas tank only like 1/4 of the way...and go kick some ass.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Cool thanks. Hopfully i do kick some ass, even if i dont at least ill get the high of racing :D
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama