SE or CDX

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

JHudson

SE or CDX

Post by JHudson »

I have a 2001 Nubira 4 door. D-Tec 16v owners manual states it is 2.0 DOHC engine. need to replace plugs, wires valve cover gasket, camshaft sensor and oxygen sensor bank 1. There is oil in the spark plug wells so it seems that the valve cover gasket is leaking. Which leads me to these questions/statements.
1) A friend mentioned to me that some valve covers have gaskets for the spark plugs seperate from the valve cover gaskets is this true of the Nubira?
2) Searching for the valve cover gasket on line the company asked for the year, car, model and sub-model the sub-model choices are SE or CDX no where can I find what type of sub-model it is SE or CDX, it makes a difference for the valve cover gasket according to the dealer.
3) Have located some good pics and diagrams as to the location of the camshaft sensor but no step by step info. Did find something about removing a cover unscrewing the two nuts and jacking up the car some where. Does anyone know of a little better instructions?
4) have not even done a search about the o2 sensor yet.
the diagnostic code numbers are P0133, P0134 and P0342.
Sorry about the long post but have no other place to turn to.
Thanks in advance.
Jim the novice
MMamdouh

Re: SE or CDX

Post by MMamdouh »

JHudson wrote: 1) A friend mentioned to me that some valve covers have gaskets for the spark plugs seperate from the valve cover gaskets is this true of the Nubira?
nope
2) Searching for the valve cover gasket on line the company asked for the year, car, model and sub-model the sub-model choices are SE or CDX no where can I find what type of sub-model it is SE or CDX, it makes a difference for the valve cover gasket according to the dealer.
i think not... SE and CDX got the same engine... anyways in here (Egypt) the only difference between the SE and CDX is that the CDX got an auto tranny
3) Have located some good pics and diagrams as to the location of the camshaft sensor but no step by step info. Did find something about removing a cover unscrewing the two nuts and jacking up the car some where. Does anyone know of a little better instructions?
the sensor is located behind the cam gears so you would have to remove the cam belt cover... no idea why jacking the engine would be required unless removing the cam belt cover requires the removal of the front engine mount and to do that you would have to support the engine
4) have not even done a search about the o2 sensor yet.
the diagnostic code numbers are P0133, P0134 and P0342.
Sorry about the long post but have no other place to turn to.
Thanks in advance.
Jim the novice
those codes are for the O2 sensor and cam position sensor... P0133 & P0134 shows that the O2 sensor is somewhere between dieing and dead, P0342 shows that the cam position sensor got low voltage

the O2 sensor will require some effort to remove and a substantial amount of WD40... probably it will be better to remove the radiator to give you some room to work on it

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

MMamdouh, thank you for the reply-info, appreciate it very much. I have the automatic trans so I guess the sub model is CDX. Guess the hard starting problem is due to the cam sensor. At least I hope so.
Thanks Again.
Jim
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

I had a tough time with the cam POS sensor on mine, but I think with the cam cover and the belt cover off you shouldn't have tooo much trouble. It would only matter if you had a different sized motor, but the 2.0L is the same between the SE and the CDX (and the 2.2 from the leganza) If you're in a relatively rust free environment you might be able to get the O2 off fairly easily, i just replaced mine after never having done it before on the car and they came right off with the O2 sensor socket. Mmamdouh knows his stuff =) so pretty much i agree with what he said haha =)
a woo that is a work in progress
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

Let me start by saying this is by far the best forum for Daewoos. Very knowledgeable people friendly to boot. As I delve into this little project more questions pop up. If you don't mind putting up with me for a little while longer have a couple of issues/questions.
1) The parts store gave me a choice of the valve cover gasket and the valve cover gasket kit that comes with grommetts and I believe a sealer, explaining to me that the grommetts were for the spark plugs and can,t remember what the sealer was for. When I took off the cover there was none of what he was describing that was in the valve cover kit. I opted for just the gasket and not the kit. Now not so sure I should get the kit. what do you all think.
2) as stated above what started all this was the Camshaft tested as being bad thats why it wouldn't or hard starting. I snapped off the harness wiring and the wires were brittle and one seemed to be broken or exposed. It's not obviouse to me on how to remove the wiring harness. Any suggestions?
3) Got the Valve cover off but the Cambelt cover doesn't seem to want to come off don't want to force it and wind up in worse trouble.
Thanks Jim
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

JHudson wrote:Let me start by saying this is by far the best forum for Daewoos. Very knowledgeable people friendly to boot. As I delve into this little project more questions pop up. If you don't mind putting up with me for a little while longer have a couple of issues/questions.
1) The parts store gave me a choice of the valve cover gasket and the valve cover gasket kit that comes with grommetts and I believe a sealer, explaining to me that the grommetts were for the spark plugs and can,t remember what the sealer was for. When I took off the cover there was none of what he was describing that was in the valve cover kit. I opted for just the gasket and not the kit. Now not so sure I should get the kit. what do you all think.
If you have a picture, i could check on what you're talking about. My valve cover gasket normally comes with several little circle seals for the holes around the bolts holding it down.
2) as stated above what started all this was the Camshaft tested as being bad thats why it wouldn't or hard starting. I snapped off the harness wiring and the wires were brittle and one seemed to be broken or exposed. It's not obviouse to me on how to remove the wiring harness. Any suggestions?
The wiring harness should have clips on either side. They're kinda hard to get off and take some hand maneuvering for me since i have chunky hands
3) Got the Valve cover off but the Cambelt cover doesn't seem to want to come off don't want to force it and wind up in worse trouble.
Thanks Jim
The red circles indicate the bolts that hold the timing belt cover on. After removing the top middle bolt above the motor mount you can pull off a cover plate there. Remove the two other bolts and any clips around the edges and it should just come right off without having to force it.
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

Picture of valve cover with old gasket attached (hope I did it right). What you describe would be the valve cover kit minus the spark plug gaskets. What I did buy was the valve cover gasket only. There was no grommets for the bolts holding it down. They seem to be in good condition and still attached to the valve cover.
As for the wire harness for the camshaft sensor the clip that attaches to the sensor came off easily but the other end runs into a bunch of wiring and that's what I can't seem to figure out how it disconnects from the other end as I need to replace this part also because the 3 wires are brittle and one is exposed so you can see the copper wireing might even be broken.
The diagram you supplied for the timing belt cover was very informative.
PS the pic for the valve cover I tried to upload was too large so I couldn't supply it.

I really appreciate the time you've taken in helping me out.
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

JHudson wrote:Picture of valve cover with old gasket attached (hope I did it right). What you describe would be the valve cover kit minus the spark plug gaskets. What I did buy was the valve cover gasket only. There was no grommets for the bolts holding it down. They seem to be in good condition and still attached to the valve cover.
As for the wire harness for the camshaft sensor the clip that attaches to the sensor came off easily but the other end runs into a bunch of wiring and that's what I can't seem to figure out how it disconnects from the other end as I need to replace this part also because the 3 wires are brittle and one is exposed so you can see the copper wireing might even be broken.
The diagram you supplied for the timing belt cover was very informative.
PS the pic for the valve cover I tried to upload was too large so I couldn't supply it.

I really appreciate the time you've taken in helping me out.
You wont be able to disconnect the wiring harness from the engine harness if thats what you're asking. The best solution is to retape the wiring that has been exposed... unless it's completely cut and you need to replace/rejoin the wire... I wouldn't go cutting wiring unless it's in super sad shape... I do have to say though, make sure to secure the wiring and not have it waiving around near the belts... I've had an issue with the clips that hold the wiring close to the motor breaking and letting my wires hang free... so i've zipp tied them so they don't run the risk of getting caught in the belts.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

Aneab there is where the problem is. The break or the exposed wire is right at the connector. The connector pulled right out with no diffuculty but the 3 wires are so brittle it might have split while removing. Was thinking of getting a new connector and cutting and splicing on to the existing wires. A few mm's back and the wires are in good shape. Do you think auto supply stores sell them?
Thanks for the help.
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

A few posts back I mentioned replacing the camshaft position sensor and getting the cover off. In another forum someone said that the engine had to be jacked up before taking the cover off. Someone here thought it probably wasn't necessary and didn't see the need for it.
I removed the air filter enclosure to get some clearance and noticed that the top bolt for the cover is just about the same height as the motor mount and there is a plate horizontally from the mount to the plate on the cover. I think that if that wasn't there I would be able to just remove the top bolt and the plate on the cover to get at the camshaft sensor.
trying to post a picture but having some trouble. Click on image below for better.

Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

It's honestly much easier if you do use the jack to hold up the motor, but if you're going to do that, make sure you use a piece of wood over the jack as to not dent or bend anything under the motor (like your oil pan) After it's up you can take off the motor mount and slide the timing belt cover up and out... it's REALLY easy to get to then... I however did do it without jacking up the car the first time... it is a PAIN but it is possible... you have to be really careful not to drop the bolt securing it down into the timing components with the cover on...

It's really up to you on this one... taking it off and jacking it up requires more work but it's pretty easy after... but just removing the small cover is a bit risky... the daewoo workshop manual for the nubira has the mechanics taking it all apart... not just the small cover over it... and if I did it again I would use a jack to just hold the motor and not let it sink and do the procedure in the shop manual... but if you do this DO NOT remove the timing belt...

As for the connector... i'm not sure how you'd go about buying a new one... You may be able to get one out of a wrecking yard (just cut the harness out and rewire it into your car) I probably would do that just cut one from another car and put it in...
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

Thank you Aneab you have been a God send for me. Your advice is clear concise and right on. I understand your point about jacking up the engine it would be my luck that the nut would fall into the timing components.
So basically I would jack up until the jack and motor were snug and no need to jack it up too much just enough that the engine doesn't move when removing the motor mount right? As far as the timing belt I would have to Intentionally take it off, there's not much of a chance of it falling off, correct?
My thought was to find a wrecking yard as you mention, for the wiring harness just hope can find one with a nubira.
Again I thank you very much for all the information and help you have provided. Your a good person.
Jim the novice.
Aneab
Expert

Post by Aneab »

JHudson wrote:Thank you Aneab you have been a God send for me. Your advice is clear concise and right on. I understand your point about jacking up the engine it would be my luck that the nut would fall into the timing components.
So basically I would jack up until the jack and motor were snug and no need to jack it up too much just enough that the engine doesn't move when removing the motor mount right? As far as the timing belt I would have to Intentionally take it off, there's not much of a chance of it falling off, correct?
My thought was to find a wrecking yard as you mention, for the wiring harness just hope can find one with a nubira.
Again I thank you very much for all the information and help you have provided. Your a good person.
Jim the novice.
you want to use the jack as basically a brace to hold up the motor on that side, the motor isn't going to just fall out without the mount in there, but it's not going to sit correctly either... Don't jack it up to lift the car, just get it snug so it doesn't sink too much... and if it does sink (as it might drop at max maybe 1cm or so) you will only have to lift it a very little bit to get the mount back on... Also, it helps so you stress the opposite mounts on the transmission and the left side motor mount...

there is 0 chance of the timing components falling off UNLESS something is broken (like the tensioner or an idler pulley) as long as everything is correctly on it will not fall off... I'm just saying... don't mess with it at all... if you touch it fine... w/e... but don't go pulling pieces and parts off haha =P just stressing this only because if you mess it up, and don't put it back on correctly you can possibly damage your motor...

while you're at it you can inspect the condition of the timing belt check for cracks dryness or frays... snapped timing belts are bad!

if you have no luck finding the wiring harness let me know, i have several junk yards where i can get one and I'll mail it to you for just shipping costs (wouldn't be much i'm sure) they often give me these parts for free as i'm in there so often for other projects...
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

Aneab I'd like to take you up on that offer for the wiring harness, put many miles on my daughters car going to junk yards parts stores and googling for the part just about given up. I'd like to pay you something for your time not just the S/H.
I have been around for close to 60 years and thought there were not any more people as kind as you left. Thank you very very much.
Tried to PM you but when sending got error something no user with that name or something like that.
JHudson

Post by JHudson »

Aneab I was sending you the pic to the wrong email I think it was an email to the webmaster. Tried the other one so I hope you got them. Please let me know if I sent them to the right email this time and you got the pictures.
Thanks
Jim