Spam... GRRRRR

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

benzino
Expert

Spam... GRRRRR

Post by benzino »

You know when you have so many spammers when the forum celebrates one of their birthdays...

Congratulations to WowGoldGuidesOr on their 30th birthday :lol:

Please let someone that is very regular on the forum ban users!!!!!!!!! like MMamdouh :minigun:
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
benzino
Expert

Re: Spam... GRRRRR

Post by benzino »

I volunteer as well...
I'm so fucking sick of SPAM!!!!!!!!!!
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am fed up with leaning after spammers... i don't have the time to keep on doing this and without banning privileges my efforts goes to waist

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

been working on this...

they just get smarter
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Banning does not solve the problem, they are logging on as regular users with GMAIL accounts and hitting the board once.

All banning does is ensure they don't come back, which they never do because it's a one time hit.

Only through the admin panel can you truly kill them, there you can delete them and all the posts they've ever made.

This way you can kill the user and the thirty post he did, other wise you have to clean up post by post which can take a good half hour per new spam guy

In the old days you could ban an address like *@chongsoft.com or something like that.

I'm still strongly in favor of banning all GMAIL accounts, simply stated that would get rid of 99% of the spam but it will also ban some users, some of whom are long term posters that are mildly active such as GSiTurbo.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

PrecisionBoost wrote:Banning does not solve the problem, they are logging on as regular users with GMAIL accounts and hitting the board once.

All banning does is ensure they don't come back, which they never do because it's a one time hit.

Only through the admin panel can you truly kill them, there you can delete them and all the posts they've ever made.

This way you can kill the user and the thirty post he did, other wise you have to clean up post by post which can take a good half hour per new spam guy

In the old days you could ban an address like *@chongsoft.com or something like that.

I'm still strongly in favor of banning all GMAIL accounts, simply stated that would get rid of 99% of the spam but it will also ban some users, some of whom are long term posters that are mildly active such as GSiTurbo.
that last spammer, opalhisive or whatever was active for like 2 days straight... surely banning would stop that?

i understand what your saying, if you pull the top off the weed, you can't see it but it will just re-grow... you have to get the roots as well
if banning g-mail accounts work, then i'm with you on that one

it's good to just have the forum up again :D
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Banned *@gmail.com

So... I guess we will see how that works.

It's unfortunate we don't have a good way to stop non-computer spam entries.

Some forums go overboard, you have to go through four security checks just to do a search.

I was thinking it would be cool if you could do something to make them have to answer a question like...

What car do you own:

Daewoo Eclipse
Daewoo Scout
Daewoo Shock
Daweoo Trooper
Daewoo Lanos
Daewoo Astra
Opel Corsetta
Daewoo Nexia
Opel Vectra
Daewoo Nubira
Daewoo Victory

You get the picture..... give them a list, ensure that the first four are wrong so that some idiot who doesn't own a Daewoo or opel or chev or what ever picks a car that doesn't exist.

Then it disallow the registration saying "sorry, we can not accept your registration at this time as we are full"

Or "Die spam douch bag!!!"
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos