stubborn bolts!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

stubborn bolts!

Post by kinkyllama »

With my lanos project, stubborn bolts has been by far my biggest issue. I can’t believe how bad almost every bolt on this car is. I broke two good torque wrenches, one which was a heavy duty one on wheel studs alone. I’m stripping grade eight 14mm bolts using (the correct) good sockets, and not even my air tools get me anywhere. Right now the driver side rear wheel, and two motor mount bolts are holding me back. I just need to know every trick for stubborn bolts. I’ve always liked PB blaster, anyone suggest something better?

I’ve been using WD40, and/or a torch to heat around the bolt with my air tools and they aren’t budging. I don’t understand how so many bolts on this car can be so terrible.

Thanks for the help!
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

some times if i cant break a bolt loose i hit it in the dirrection to tighten it just enough to break it loose, then take it out the normal way. are you useing torque wrenches or breaker bars? get a breaker bar adn a long thick piece of metal pipeing and slide the pip over the end or the breaker bar making the breaker bar longer, the longer bar should give you more leaverage. like this
between that, GOOD tools and a tourch you should be able to get them all out

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I wouldn't use a measuring tool like a torque wrench for loosening such hard bolts. Sometimes you have to put a loosening torque 3 times greater than for tightening the bolt.
Try to use a cheater bar as suggested by mofo + heat + WD40 and 6 points sockets less prone to rip on bolts than 12 points sockets.
Or invest in a stronger impact wrench like http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_ ... uctID=3142 .
One thing I have learned is some kind of "micro-welding" between steel bolts and alloy rims. I don't why but it seems that some metal grades mix give such problems.

My 2 ct.

Daniel
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Yes I do use a breaker bar, should have mentioned that.

I just checked and my impact wrench does 270ft.lbs.

I think I did use a 12pt socket when I stripped the grade 8 bolts...I wasn't even using a breaker bar though.

Going in the direction to tighten sounds like a good idea too.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Lanos.

PRAY that you never have to loosen the tie rod ends. When I was getting my car lowered, we tried EVERYTHING. Then we hit it with a blowtorch for a minute, then froze it with a stream of nitrous from my bottle. FINALLY cracked.

PB Blaster/WD-40 every hour for about a day (leave overnight) should break everything loose.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

tie rods are a bitch on the lanos. damn stuts never want to let them go

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Same on a lot of the relatives. Cavaliers, calibras, astras etc. They're all the same. Easiest way i found was to blowtorch them for a bit, then some wd40/other penetrating fluid. Works wonders. Just try not to melt the ball joint :( Oops
SAZ
---------------------