Need some opinions on paint, exhaust, wheels...

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Need some opinions on paint, exhaust, wheels...

Post by kinkyllama »

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my lanos. It's black, my favorite but I'm starting to consider white (prob a pearl white). The bumpers and some bits already need to be painted so I'm considering just going with white. I just bought all "spoon" black wheels, they're like a charcoal black...well here's a picture:

I’m going with a 215/40/16 falken fx 452 which is going to give me some nice low gear ratios. =D I think these would look fantastic on a white car and I love that black/white look. Since my car is already black I'd leave the hood and mirrors black. I'm going to Photoshop what it'd look like with a black roof and hatch as well. When you guys see a black hood on a different colored car do you see it as trying to pose for a carbon fiber hood or do you think the person just hasn‘t painted it yet? I know this is a popular look and I'd love to do something less popular but the point of this car is a fun car that doesn’t empty my bank accounts and well that color scheme is popular because it’s very eye catching without being flashy.

Do you think polishing the lip on these wheel would look bad on a white car?, I think so but have never seen it. What about something like a white lip? I think that would be too flashy but I'm going to photo shop it and see. Maybe even a blue lip. I just want something a bit different on the exterior

Now onto the exhaust. On my U20SED Lacetti I have my Kinky headers, 2.5” mid-pipe with magnaflow hi-flow CAT, then a nice long taper from 2.5” into a 2.25” CAT back with a magnaflow muffler. It can be pretty loud stop light to stop light (with the windows down) but anything cruising under 70mph and you can’t hear it at all…though I have the 6th gear. On my U20SED Lanos I was thinking of doing the same setup, but keeping the CAT-back 2.5”, adding a magnaflow resonator, then putting the CAT on v-band flanges so I can remove it in mins (having a test pipe to replace it). I’m pretty sure this setup would make about the same power and allot more without the CAT yet be even quieter (with the CAT, maybe without). I’d plan to only remove the CAT for racing purposes.

btw any of you guys with the hatch spoiler find out it costs nearly $700 to replace the rear window? Since I don't have A/C I'm just leaving it without a window until I at least figure out if I want to spend $400 MORE just to have a spoiler. :roll:

Feel free to give me your input!
Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

why would you need to replace the hatch to have a spoiler? nick (lanos2001) used gorilla glue to attach his, he said once it was set it never moved. why not do something like that?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yeah glue worked for me. forget which one i used exactly but i bought it from home depot it had a pic of an RV on it. i think. lol

just make sure that its not gonna rain for a couple of days if you do the glue. cause you want it to cure 100% the moisture can mess with it and make it fall off.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

daewoomofo wrote:why would you need to replace the hatch to have a spoiler? nick (lanos2001) used gorilla glue to attach his, he said once it was set it never moved. why not do something like that?
Awesome...didn't think of that.

The spoiler bolts into the hatch but the bolts go through holes in the hatches glass.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yup and you can't drill your own holes since its tempered glass. if you want just cut the bolts off.

oh and when i put mine on i first had a two buddies help me. one to hold the spoiler, another to stand back and make sure its level and centered even after making some marks (dry erase) and i marked the glass where the spoiler will be with permanent marker.

DON"T use a wax pencil or dry erase since then if the glue is on the marks from them it can come off easy. just make the marks a lil smaller than outline of the spoiler so you won't see them after you put it on.or you can make it a bit larger then the outline and wipe it off with alcohol later. not 100% if it would come off or not tho.

i also put a drop of the glue on the glass and smeared it around a bit and the same on the spoiler. and depending on the glue of course let it tack up before pressing it on.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Those wheels are hot...
Leave em all black and white wall the tyres
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

benzino wrote:Those wheels are hot...
Leave em all black and white wall the tyres
i agree that the wheels are nice, but i think white walls would look really bad. just keep them black, a polished lip could look ok, but if you did a white/blue/any other color lip ot would look kinda ricey in my opinion

Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I say paint the car white.

Would look awesome with those wheels. Just leave the wheels and the tyres like that. Why spend megabucks on wheels to start sanding them down and painting etc. Just leave them like that, they look amazing as they are.
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

Pir0 wrote:I say paint the car white.

Would look awesome with those wheels. Just leave the wheels and the tyres like that. Why spend megabucks on wheels to start sanding them down and painting etc. Just leave them like that, they look amazing as they are.
+1

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Thanks for the input. The wheels came today and I have to paint the car white....the wheels are just too perfect for a white car. I'll be happy without a lip of any kind, I already have blue lugs, valve stems, and valve caps so it looks good but isn't very flashy.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Have you considered sanding the paint and laying carbon fiber cloth (I saw it a while back...it's thin sheets of carbon fiber that are flexible enough to lay over car panels.) over the top/hatch/hood with the rest being pearl white...it would look awesome imo.

Jimmy
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

jidasas wrote:Have you considered sanding the paint and laying carbon fiber cloth (I saw it a while back...it's thin sheets of carbon fiber that are flexible enough to lay over car panels.) over the top/hatch/hood with the rest being pearl white...it would look awesome imo.

Jimmy
Kinda thought about it but rather have the real thing. Garrett informed me that I should be able to fit into a class or two and be able to competitively race with NASA (road racing) so I'm going to look into that. Over time if money allows and the class allows then the car will get at least a carbon fiber hood. Either way I will be using hood pins and taking out the hinges/hatches, should look good and lose a few lbs.

Anyone with paint experience know any official names of a pearl type white with some blue tint in it that I can start looking into?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
mikedudley17
Super

Post by mikedudley17 »

pics?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

mikedudley17 wrote:pics?
Huh?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
mikedudley17
Super

Post by mikedudley17 »

i misread a post, i thought you said you got the rimis on and you got the car painted white already... :embarassed: i always read these things too fast.