DIY Angel Eyes/Halos!!!!!!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Tim04
Super

DIY Angel Eyes/Halos!!!!!!

Post by Tim04 »

http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/eagl ... pgrade.htm
If anyone is interested, I believe I saw a post with someone asking about it. I might give it a try pretty soon. Let me know if you try! :)

Sometimes if you want it your way, ya gotta DIY. 8)
Tim04
Super

Hmmm

Post by Tim04 »

To think of it you could use the concept here on alot of different areas of your car. You could use different color led and flashing leds. Hmm the possibilities only go as far as your imagination and crafting ability! :P
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I noticed his angel eyes only go part way around.... is that normal?

I've seen angel eyes here and there but I never really paid attension to them.

To be honest I think there is a much better solution than what this guy has presented..... what if each of the bright slots were actually a surface mount LED.

You could have them change colors, do patterns.... such as rotating around as if the light is moving in a direction.....flashing, alternating in color and brightness.

They would be expensive since you would need a whole pile of surface mount LED's to go all the way around but they would certainly be interesting.
Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

I noticed his angel eyes only go part way around.... is that normal?
Well no... but he wanted to be different I guess. Hecould have made it go all the way around but he didn't. There are a couple of other guys who have done it the"all around" way but I decied to post his sight since it was the most informative regarding the process involved.

i like the Idea of having LEDs all around that would be cool. I saw something like that at Shark Racing for the Tiburon but they were blue and thats not leagal in Texas so I couldn't do that at all.

I was thinking it would be cool to use the Idea in different areas such as maybe behind the grill or by around driving/fog lights. Or maybe a cheap source of illumination for areas in the interior that aren't lit well. Such as cup holders or arm rest storage areas, etc. You can use two LEDs one on each side and aparantley make small incisions on the real part of the panel to refract the rays of light throughout the plastic rod. This makes it easy, and cheap for the DIY'er. I think I will give it a go when I get a new dremel tool. I would like to see what they would look like around the cup holder area in a variation of colors. Oh yeah it would be pretty cool to have the lights constantly "scroll" (FLOBW) around the Halo itself which would take multiple LEDs.

Anyway as you can tell from the long post, I'm abit excited about the possibilities. :D Let me know what you think Erfinder. 8)
Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

Is anyone else interested in doing this? I am going to attempt it next weekend, let me know if you want the play-by-play pics.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

By all means, please take step-by-step pics. That is great information for anyone interested.

Remember, the more deatiled the description of each step, the easier it will be for people to make their own.

Thanks!

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You mentioned that blue was illegal in Texas..... are you talking about when you are driving around or is it illegal even when you are parked?

I think driving around with any color would be illegal unless you got the entire light approved by the department of transportation.

I wonder what it would look like if you made your angel eyes orange and used them to flash with your turn signals.

What if they glowed a light blue and turned orange for the turn?

I will look into the whole surface mount LED on a circular circuit board thing that I was talking about above..... it could be expensive if I had to use 50 LEDs....I will let you know later.
Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

will look into the whole surface mount LED on a circular circuit board thing that I was talking about above..... it could be expensive if I had to use 50 LEDs....I will let you know later.
Actually the Angel Lights on sale at SharkRacing use 10 led's and they look really, really bright. I think thats overkill though. I think 3 to 5 strategically placed LEDs should do the job fine. But to get "fancy" with it you would need a circuit board or open circuit relays. I was thinking about going with a glowing white look and making the signals flash with circuit and digital potentiometer that slowy increases voltage up to a point..stops..then recycles the sequence. What do you think?
Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

I have decided against doing the "Angel Eyes" thing. To much trouble for a stupid light show.:roll: I have decide to use 3M reflective tape around the bezels of the bulb housing to give the same effect. Less sweat and tears and still good looking. So I will let you know how that goes. :roll: