The longest Thread ever!!!

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

lanos2001 wrote:same wit the lanos.

didnt i already say that!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

like evryones already said... the back is split, the the arse end is one solid piece.

next will be taking out the panels on the sides so i can get rid of the stock speakers, which dnt work anyway.

have also been thinking about getting a 3 point harness and bolting it to the rear seatbelt bolts. (they seem solid)
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Rodd1s wrote: have also been thinking about getting a 3 point harness and bolting it to the rear seatbelt bolts. (they seem solid)
Yeah that's the way i've heard a lot of people doing it.

Do you track your car much though? My friend removed his backseats and.. basically whole interior cept 2 front seats and a dash in his redtopped Nexia and it went like stink.
SAZ
---------------------
mikedudley17
Super

Post by mikedudley17 »

its snowin really hard here in chicago-craziness! lol
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

18th semi birthday party last night. Was brilliant. My proper ones on saturday, which im hoping is even more fannnnntastic.

Downside: Club was PACKED and I had to wait 20 minutes on a drink at the bar.
Upside: Met one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen while standing at the bar for 20 minutes, some guy was pushing and shoving and I turned round, thinking it was him, and she was standing there like :smt009 cause the guy who was pushing was behind her, so i let her in beside me and started chatting away.

Good stuff, best 20 minutes i've ever spent waiting on a drink.
SAZ
---------------------
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Pir0 wrote:Good stuff, best 20 minutes i've ever spent waiting on a drink.
ive been in that situation many times. once some girl started feeling me up between the legs, her excuse was "I wanted to have a feel." then she bought me a drink. :)
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well the waiting for a drink is typical. thats why if i can i try to double fist or even triple fist depending on the wait.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

i got some lower springs from an Astra Mk2 GTE yesterday.
i also got the front dampers ( with strut mounts?), bigger brake discs and calipers with it.

not sure if im gona completely swap out the front suspension etc or just use the springs yet (as it'll be much easier swapping evrything, but the GTE dampers and discs are considerably older than that on the lanos)

the bigger discs and calipers need a bit of cleaning before they go anywhere.

whatever i dnt use i'll probly sell if anyones intrested in some mk2 suspension parts, bigger discs or calipers.
and of course there'll be the lanos springs aswell.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i have a line on a steering column with tilt and all of that crap for my lanos (i have no tilt) $60, think i should go for it?

Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

i took my 4x6 rear stock speakers out the other day... and they work perfectly... its the wiring somewhere along the car thats fried.
this weekend, im gona put them back in and lay new wires thru the car so that the rear speakers work once again.

does anyone have any information about the ignition wiring near steering column? need to know cos of an alarm im putting in, and its got the option for remote starting (James Bond stylee. lol) to warm it up in the winter. if not... i'll play around with it.

how hard is it to replace the springs? (ie: lowering the car) i know the rear ones should be a walk in the park, im not worried about that, but where do i start with the front suspension?

where is evryone? come on people! page 400 is almost here.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Front ones can be a bastard or practically fall out.

The driver side on my Nexia was a bastard, the right side was fine. As i'm sure you figured you hafta take the strut out.

Basically;

Jack car up/up on ramps
Take wheel off
Take the caliper off and tie it up outta the way. [2 alan key bolts on the back of it, can be pretty tight]
Take hub nut off
Beat the shaft inward with the likes of a mallet or a lump hammer with a block of wood. Don't wreck the first few thread on it or else it's a pain..
Remove nut from the bottom ball join, connecting the wishbone to the strut
Remove tie rod from strut [or from behind the endine, struts easier though ;)]
then just take the 2 bolts out that connect the strut top to the chasis.

The strut should basicallt fall right out at this point, then, you move onto dissasembling the strut..

Get spring clamps [or 2 bits of rope and 2 screw drivers <- Ghetto way of doing it, but it still works.]
Compress springs
Remove the top bolt of the shock that's in the middle of the strut top. [Might be a small plastic/rubber cap over it]
Once removed just take all the top bits off, the rubbery plastic bits/washers etc.
Then voila, just slide the spring up off the shock.

Don't think i missed anything there.. Except seperating the Balljoin from the shock can be a pain in the hole tbh. I reccomend thumping the bottom of the wishbone with a lumphammer so that it shakes it loose.. Remeber the age of your car when doing this lol, it's probably NEVER been took out before so it can be pretty stiff. I actually spent about an hour and a half FIGHTING with this on the first one i ever done. literally a full hour and a half. I got a 4 ft long glanvanised steel bar, about a good .5-.58cm thick and about 6cm diamter, and wedgggggged it in between the strut and the underside of the car, and was literally jumping on it, hoping the leverage would break the wishbone away from the shock. I bent the fucking bar and at the end, had my friend shake the shock while i bounced on this galvo steel bar, and when it finally gave, because my shaft wasnt right out of the strut, it ripped my shaft out of the gearbox when it fell. I only put the diff oil in 2 days beforehand :( Was not a good day. It started raining before we had the strut back in too, and we done it outside my house on the street, no garage, no shelter, at the side of a road outside my hosue :( Diff oil everywhere.

[edit]: PS. Kinda ironic how I said, don't think i missed anything then went on to tell a full story
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

if you do it yourself GET SPRING CLAMPS! coilover springs are VERY dangerous. do it the right way or you could kill your self. also you cant just put the car on ramps you need jack stands under the unibody, let the wheels hang free. ive dont struts on 2 lanos's its not too bad. its also a good time to change the ball joints and outer tie rod ends.

Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I didnt mean ramps you drive onto, i meant ramps as in, the one you drive over, then stick 4 pegs under the chassis and lift it up..

I'm just used to calling them ramps.

Last time i done my struts I changed the whole lower front suspension parts. Only thing i didnt was track rod arms, might do those next time, the stuff ive put in my one atm are pretty much brand new anyway...
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok got ya

mikedudley17
Super

Post by mikedudley17 »

when will be out of page 355?