Why Upgrade a Daewoo?

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

When I was looking at purchasing an economy car so that I could keep the mileage down on my other vehicles I looked high and low for a decent Honda Civic in my price range ( $10,000 CDN = $6,666 USD at that time )

It seemed that almost every one I looked at had to many miles or it was in rough condition.

Then I found out I could have a brand new Daewoo Lanos for $9900 CDN

I drove the Lanos and it was really quite decent.... I've allways had Japaneese products so I was quite surprized that it was on par with the Hondas I had owned previously.

Needless to say I'm used to sports cars so I did start feeling a little disappointed with the power levels.

Again.... I belive that modifying a car makes it safer and more enjoyable so I started to look into modifications.

I was quite surprized to find out they were actually Opel/Holden products and that my Lanos was a restyled Astra/Kadette.

When I realized that I could have a nice 2.0L turbo running about 200hp for next to nothing ( less than $500 ) I immediatly wanted to drop in the new engine.

Given the suspension and brakes were also from the Astra/Kadette I felt compelled to upgrade both areas of the vehicle to compliment the new engine.

I was in the middle of rebuilding a 2.0L Turbo when the Optra 5 (suzuki Reno ) came out and I decided it was a much better platform for the vehicle modifications.

I could have purchased a Subaru WRX STi (very close to buying one) or even an Infinity G35 Coupe but when I did the math I realized that I could have similar performance with my Optra 5 for about $10,000 less!

So.... why modify a Daewoo??

Dollar for dollar you can't beat it for a starting platform.