DAEWOO is dead in Australia.

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

LacettiForenzaOptra

DAEWOO is dead in Australia.

Post by LacettiForenzaOptra »

DAEWOO is dead in Australia. THE Daewoo brand disappears from Australian new-car showrooms late this year, driven out by cut-price Japanese competition. Holden, the owner of the distributorship, announced last week, its decision to kill off the South Korean brand here (Australia) by December 31, 2004. The decision by Holden last week to withdraw the Daewoo brand from the Australian market from the end of this year will have a significant and enduring impact on the 140,000-odd owners of the South Korean-built cars, and it won't be good.......
Check out for the rest of the story and more news at: http://www.AveoKalos.tk

More news to come with Daewoo soon but NO news with the AVEO being canceled in America or Canada.
GoAuto-Carpoint
Last edited by LacettiForenzaOptra on Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt - LacettiForenzaOptra
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sounds a litte fishy to me..... Holden.... the majority stock holder in GMDAT decides to kill off Daewoo in Australia????

I guess they don't want Daewoo's to compete against their own Holden vehicles.

Still this is so strange.... since the engines for the Daewoo's come out of the plant in Port Melbourne..... here is the GM plant info...

Holden Engine Operations (HEO)
Products: L4 Family II 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, and 2.2 litre engines; V6 3.8 litre and V6 3.8 litre supercharged engines
Components: Grey iron and SG iron castings; brake discs and knuckles
Year Opened: 1942 (1981 in L4 Family II production form)
Plant Size: 17.2 hectares
2001 CY Production: 255,308

Does Suzuki sell rebadged Daewoo products in Australia??

Suzuki Swift (Kalos)
Suzuki Forenza (Nubira III, Chev Optra )
Suzuki Reno (Lacetti, Chev Optra 5)
Suzuki Verona ( Leganza )
LacettiForenzaOptra

DAEWOO DEAD in Australia

It would be a good idea to rebadge Daewoo's and sell them as Suzuki's in Aus. Thought of that though and might contact Suzuki Aus and tell them that. I don't think that GM Daewoo competes with Holden. The Lacetti is 'basicly' the same as the Astra. Same handling and engine etc. What I don't get is that Daewoo (Not GM Daewoo) use to sell their cars a lot before GM bought them. Their marketing hasn't and isn't appealing now days but was a while ago. If you have a look at the statisics of what Daewoo were selling a while back with the Nubiras is was good. Something happened between GM buying Daewoo and 2004 with Holden.

www.AveoKalos.tk
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I find my new Optra 5 ( Lacetti ) to be far superior to that of my Lanos.

When you closed the doors on the Lacetti it sounds solid and it makes a very nice quiet thump sound like you would hear on more expensive cars.

My lanos sounded just about as bad as my 83 GMC work truck.... loud hollow bang sound.... no where near the same amount of sound deadening material that the Lacetti has.

I love the looks of the Lacetti.... it's my favorite Daewoo product (which is why I sold my Lanos and bought one as soon as they came out)

When you look at them in pictures they don't look all that exciting but up close in person is a totally different story... you can see the agressive look of the lights blending into the new body work.

It's still strange that Holden would be the majority stock holder and then decide not to sell them in their own country.
LacettiForenzaOptra

I have contacted Suzuki Australia and asked them if they would rebadge GM Daewoos and sell them as Suzuki's but this is what a representitive of Suzuki Aus said:
"The arrangement that you refer to in the North American market
is probably untenable in the Australian market by virtue of Holden's
level of investment in the Korean manufacturer.

Whilst we thank you for your advice and interest in Suzuki product
please rest assured that we have firm product plans already in place
spanning into the forseeable future.

regards"

Suzuki Aus.

http://www.AveoKalos.tk
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Here is a quote from a GM site....

In 2002, GM formed GM Daewoo Auto & Technology (GMDAT) with Suzuki and SAIC, (GM 44.6 percent, Suzuki 14.9 percent, and SAIC 10.6 percent).

So Holden owns about 45% and Suzuki about 15%

SAIC is a chineese company if I remember correctly.... can't remember what it's full name is.

The rest of GM-DAT is held by creditors who were owed money when Daewoo went bankrupt
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Guess this means the death of DVE products and the Lanos one make race series. If you want any body kits, better get 'em now while the gettins good.