Difference????

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

jimmyc

Difference????

Post by jimmyc »

Hey Guys!

I was just wondering what the difference between the Lanos SX and the plain lanos is. Is it power? Please let me know so I know what I can or should buy!
Thanks,
James Chagnon
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Well, since you're in Canada, the SX gets a tach in the instrument cluster. There are most liekly other differences that are minor.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Well the biggest difference is a freakin huge power difference.

The standard Canadian "S" hatchback came with the 1.5L SOHC where as the "SX" hatch and all sedan models came with the 1.6L DOHC.

The Canadian "S" hatchback is the only Lanos in North America to have the 1.5L so you would be better off with the 1.6L if your looking to make some extra power.

I think the power difference was something like 20hp.

The "SX" also had all kinds of features like power windows,locks ect where as the "S" was manual everything.

If I had the choice I would definitly go for the "SX" even if there was a price difference of a few thousand..... the "SX" is worth it.

I've seen a pile of "SX" Lanos's in Quebec....some as cheap as $3500 Canadian.
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

DAMN! I finally found a Lanos local to me, but they want $3900 for it. Not saying its not worth it, but I just would not pay that when there are so many better deals to be found. Hell, if I lived on a border state, I'd jsut go to Quebec and buy an SX. Its close enough to the US Lanos that insuring it would not be a problem even if its not 100% US street legal according to the US DOT.
Goldenboy
Super

Post by Goldenboy »

Let me know scourge. I live up there :) I can check with you or help you around with french if you need :)

Mat 8)
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

If I knew for certain that I was stying in the US, I'd be interested. I don't want to pay $4000US for an AT American version. I'd like a black SX 5-speed on the cheap. If I am t ostay in the US, I am very serious about swapping in an SW20DET AWD from a Pulsar GTi-R.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The cross border thing is a pain in the rear.

I looked into this and found out that you need a piece of paper from the manufacturer saying that the car conforms to the safety regulations in order to register the car.

So the problem is that Daewoo is the manufacturer and they are now bankrupt.... so I don't know how you would get a letter from them.

From what I gather the cars are nearly identical and have the same safety features....but they still say you have to have some paperwork proving it.

If I were you I would look to Las Vegas for a Lanos.... I had one lined up there for about $3500 USD and it was a 5spd SX with about 30,000 miles on it.

I'm sure it's gone now since this was about 6 months ago but you never know.

What was happening is that a car rental place ( possible Budget ) was flooding the market with a pile of Lanos's so it drove the price down for all the dealerships and personal sales.

If you check the Autotrader site you will find pages upon pages of Daewoo cars.... some are pretty reasonable.

You should have bought that "Blue Woo" car in the clasifieds on this site.... I think it ended up going for about $1800 USD on EBAY and it allready had lowered springs, rims and a pile of other modifications.
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Normally, you would need a piece of paper, but if one bought the car outright and simply drove the car across the border and went to your insurance company and insured it just like it was originally from the US, no one eould ever know the difference, not even the insurance company. The cars are the same. This has been done for many other cars coming from Canada and from other countries where the cars do not comply with US standards.

Normally, I would not condone even attempting to skirt the law, but in this case, the cars are the same in safety and environmentally.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Insurance isn't a problem.... it's usually the Registration of the vehicle that causes problems.

I was told that if I had a car brought up to me and I wanted to register it I would have to have it taken back to the Canada/USA port of entry for them to do an inspection of the saftey compliance and examine the car.

The main issue in registration is that it won't come up in their system as a USA domestic vehicle ( due to the VIN number ).

I'm sure the registration rules are different in each state so it would totally depend on where you are in the USA.
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Yes, it is much much easier to get a car registered im the US. There are RHD Japanese Civics and other cars from Japan registered as their US counterpart. The problem comes with the insurance seeing the car is not LHD, and they start asking questions.

For a Lanos, on the other hand, it is LHD and the Canadian and US versions are identical. I would not have any concern whatsoever about registering any car from Canada, especially one where the US has an exact counterpart. On paper, this would be technically illegal, but since Daewoo Canada no longer exists to issue a paper stating compliance and the cars are identical in fact, I would have no qualms about trgistering the car in the US.

I will admit that I am very critical of Skyline owners who go this roue as doing so could cause problems for legitimate Skyline owners in the US. But, the Skyline has no exact counterpart in the US liek the Lanos does. So, I see the situations as being very very different.
jimmyc

Post by jimmyc »

Hey thanks guys for the help. As for registering a car in the U.S. it might be hard. But doable, Try swapping v.i.n plates and then you are set with a car that is American made.
Thanks,
James Chagnon
scourge
Junior

Post by scourge »

Honestly, I don't think it would be that hard using the current VIN. Well, maybe if you live in California, but I am now trapped in Tennesee and I have seen many licensed "street legal" drag cars even in my podunk town.

Further, I've never had an issue with VINs with my insurer...the same guy and company that my family has used since 1979, so insuring something for me is not a problem....they only wanted the make-model-year-amount of coverage I wanted. Maybe I'm just lucky with State Farm. :?: