Parts from Europe

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

What would you like to have?

F20 gearbox
No votes
F28 6-speed gearbox
50%
Rear disc conversion
13%
16V cylinder head
25%
Braided brake lines
13%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 8

GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Parts from Europe

Post by GsiTurbo »

Hey racers!

I was thinking yesterday about parts I would like to have from the european models in my car. Then this crazy idea came to my mind - why not setup a group buy of parts - no complete engine (unfortunately), but various components, where the largest items could be gearboxes and cylinder heads.

What would you be interested in?
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Hmmmm....it only let me vote once....yet I want all of them!!
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

hehehehe... yes you can only vote once :P

i also want them all
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The group buy is certainly a good idea, but europe isn't the only place we could get parts from.

The other alternative is to do a group buy in Australia which seem to have a good AUD vs USD value.

There are numerous body kits in Australia as well as all the F28's, F20's, 16V heads that you would find in Opel and Vauxhall cars (via Holden vehicles)

I'd really like to see a comparison between the cost of parts in Europe and Australia.

The shipping would probably be more from Australia but it has many ocean ports so "Ocean freight" is allways an option.

Tom, were you thinking about importing from Poland?
Is Poland using the Euro yet?

We really need to get some ideas about cost.... if some of you Polish and Australian guys could help out it would be greatly appreciated.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Tom, were you thinking about importing from Poland?
Is Poland using the Euro yet?
Actually, I had something a bit more north-west - the land of the Koenigsegg - Sweden ;)

Currently, 1 Canadian dollar (CDN) = 5.41 Swedish Kronor

Some parts prices:

new 288 Vectra GSI rotors (pair) = 850 SEK = $157.20 CDN

This is a good price for a pair. The F20 with less than 100k on it goes for up to 1800 SEK, which is 332.94 CDN.

Shipping on a roughly 250KG box, from Stockholm to Edmonton, size roughly 200cmX80cmX70cm is US570 + duties - I guess the price of this would be divided amongst the ppl that order, based on the purchase value on their parts.

I am very curious to indeed compare prices with Australia, as UK is completely out of question due to poor exchange rate.

PS: Poland becomes the member of the EU this May, but I feel it will be a while b4 it starts using Euro.

Post by Maximus »

Recently I was intrested in prices of F20 gearbox (I do not know how long will my F16 last with a turbo...) and one can get a used one here in Poland for about 300 $
Image Image
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Maximus: i really dont know why you are so afraid... you'll have a low boost turbo setup.... Gsiturbo has a F16 in his TURBO 2.0... do you remember he has some 220+lb.ft of torque???? and the F16 is still there.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

I heard bout some cases when F16 didn't survive 160 Hp :(

I'm not that much conserned bout the gearbox as bout the cluth... And already I'm thinking what to do when mine will say no. Buy a new one for a lanos ? maybe buy a clutch from Astra/Kadett GSi ??? or repair this one making it at the same time "harder" :?
Image Image
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

hmmm....

i have custom made "stage 4 like" bronce clutch....

ive around 1 year with this clutch... a lot 4-5000 rpm launches... a lot of "powershifts" have been made (you know, shifting with the gas pedal all the way down)...

how many of you guys are intrested on a clutch like this????

here's an image of how my clutch looks like

**just the clutch**

Be honest... im gonna make some calls to check pricing.... so we can start another group buy...
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

If you can find that clutch for a nubira put me on the list.
ImageImage
john s

Post by john s »

The F16 gearbox can hold up to 300hp if you know how to shift. I will be running the F16 gearbox this summer, dont know how much HP i will get. The better thing about the f20 gearbox is that the car will do 100 km/h on 2e gear and your car will be alot faster 0-100. And yes the f20 gearbox does hold together better than the F16, but mine is still as new. (my car was running with a turbo c20ne engine (converted) and a boost of 0.8 bars).
Kadett GSi TIC -85
Saab 900 Turbo -97