What is the fastest car you've been in (Top Speed)

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

What is the fastest car you've been in (Top Speed)

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have personally been in a car that exceeded the posted speed limit by 144MPH (230 KPH )

Here is the scary thing.... we had 8 people inside the car!!!! :shock: :shock:

It was a 1972 Dodge Challenger 440 6pack ( 6 barrel carburetor )

His speedometer was reading about 260Km/h (163MPH) as we flew through a school zone (it was saturday at 4:00pm in the middle of nowhere so it wasn't really a problem)

Me and about 5 other people were yelling at him to stop the car... it was floating around....you could feel the pressure comming off the rear tires.

I punched him probably 15-20 times that night.... we were one pebble in the road from becoming a horrific accident.

I have personally drove my Acura 3.5RL at speeds in excess of 230km/h (144mph) for about an hour and a half. ( my wife was pregnant and had some slight internal bleeding during our vacation so I had to get her back home in a hurry so she could go and see the doctor)

Here is the funny thing.... the top speed of the 3.5RL is only supposed to be 130MPH and I didn't hit the speed limiter once during my trip.

During this fast sprint home I also had a really expensive top of the line Mercedes Benz pass me and leave me in the dust !!!! :shock:

I couldn't belive it..... within 5 minutes he was out of my range of site.... he must have been driving a Benz imported from Germany or something because he had to be doing at least 165MPH.
Shado

Post by Shado »

hehe, the fastest car iv been in is my own woo [commence throwing things at me now]! i beta rephrase that - the car which i have been going the fastest in, my mate owns a 8.5 sec torana but i havent been in it when it was racing,, theres not too many speedy roads out my way to safely go ova 100mph on but iv managed to scrape 165kph outta the woo when i ran outta road and had to slow it down,, my woo has a 2.5 inch cat bak exuast all red back gear (aussie brand) and is weighed down by over 100kg's of stereo install so im proud of that, specially since the manual says its speed limit is 175kph or something.
43som_lanos

Post by 43som_lanos »

The fastest car, is with my bro in a lancer gsr. around the 12sec mark, but we hit 200 before we knew it.
the fastest i have been is 230kph in my old j2 hyundai lantra, which did it easily, with only intake and exhaust.
My woo has been 180kph, with the same simple mods.
had my wifes old boss soarer up to 170kph, and our nissan x-trail upto 170kph.
WHY?...Because I can...Thats WHY!
anesTHEtic34

Post by anesTHEtic34 »

does Acceleration Alley at Daytona USA count?

no?

okay, well i've ridden in an integra that runs 9's in the 1/4 mile. i didn't even look at the spedometer. it felt like the Gravitron at the fair.
if i could change the way you look at me
i'd carve your eyes out with a knife.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

My second car was a 1979 Mustang 302. I ended up popping the original engine and putting in a 302 from a 1968 mustang. I have no idea how fast that thing went since Ford decided to only put speedo's in them that went to 90mph. My friend in his BMW said that while he was trying to follow me one time and gave up at 140, then I was gone.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

My fastest was in my Porsche 914.
160 mph (257.5 kph) across a bridge at night. :)
Thats with a 1.8L 4 cyl.
I want to put in the 3.2L 6 cyl.

My next fastest, and as you know, the speedometer in a Leganza says 140 (225 kph), but I had the needle pegged and was quite a bit faster than that as it could still accellerate nicely. 100% stock.
I was in a line with a Corvette, a Lexus and a Mercedes and we were all going faster than my speedometer could read. Each of us took turns pulling to the front of the line of cars. This lasted for about 20 minutes.

Cliff
gti_7

Post by gti_7 »

Its interesting that many of the posted legal limits of a cars top speed as stated my the Manufacture, are in most cases false and only there for the insurance companies.. case in point the new dodge Srt4. its top speed is a claimed 150mph. but many have gone 160+ with out anything happening.

This case is also true for my lanos. I have never hit a "govener" for speed. im able to pull 180km/h in 4th @6K 5th brings it down to 175 with the rpms maxed at 4600rpm. When i get a slight grade, and i can manage to trigger the "e-tec" at some 5200.. speed begins to pick up :wink:

fastest ive gone in my lanos is 193km/h..@5.8k in 5th with the car shuddering .. not from lowly craftsmans ship, but from the mechanics reaching their limit! :twisted:

on average though, i can do about 185km.h with out much issue. 8)

so much for company claimed top speeds!

if the speedo says 220.. then damn it! im doing 220! :lol:
Bernard
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The Lanos is surprisingly stable at high speed, I typically travel at an average speed of about 145km/h to 165km/h on the highway when I travel to Calgary ( 2.5 hrs south of where I live).... speed limit is 110km/h ( 69 MPH ) but most people drive it around 130 Km/h.

It doesn't really seem to mind the high speed at all and I think it handles and feels much better than my old 93 Civic I had several years back.

The only car I've ever hit a speed limiter in was my 93 Prelude SR (Si in the USA) which was at about 210km/h....it's a really weird feeling....almost like the gas pedal went dead for a second or two.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

My 2002 Lanos, with the automatic transmission (I WISH I had a 5 speed) seems to have a governer that limits the car to about 112mph (180 Km/H). I can accelerate fast up to 112, then the car just seems to suddenly not want to go any faster.

My 1994 Hyundai Excel 5 speed has a smaller 1.5L engine and will do 125mph (201 Km/H) without any problems.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I've hit 125mph in my lanos without a problem before. Of course that was 50K miles ago so I don't attempt that anymore especially since I think the engine is starting to go on me :(
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

In my nubira 100mph, but I stop for 2 eason, to many cars, and here the road is not so well to risk one wheel or two
ImageImage
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

i think i pay the lowest car insurance payment here....? do u people ever get pulled over for going that fast???????? the greatandpowerfuloz, wut year was ur leganza?, did u buy it new?
Last edited by Daew0Leganza on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Daew0Leganza wrote:i think i pay the lowest car insurance payment here....? do u people ever get pulled over for going that fast???????? the greatandpowerfuloz, wut year was ur leganza?, did u buy it new?
My Leganza is a '01, I bought it in Feb '02 new with 9 miles on the odometer. It now has 46,000.
Daew0Leganza
banned

Post by Daew0Leganza »

with the pwr button on or off?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Daew0Leganza wrote:i think i pay the lowest car insurance payment here....? do u people ever get pulled over for going that fast???????? the greatandpowerfuloz, wut year was ur leganza?, did u buy it new?
I have had a clean License for about 8 years so I have very good rates ($1000 CDN per year with all coverage)....and yes I've been pulled over.... they were good about it and only gave me a 40KPH over the limit ticket (anything over that has to go to court)

I was actually doing 180kph in an 80kph zone just before it turns into a 100kph zone...it took them about 16 blocks to catch up to me and I was actually pulled over in another city (1/4 block into sherwood park) which is out of the Edmonton police force juristiction. Funny thing is that the RCMP from Sherwood park allways sit on a bridge above where I was pulled over so I had slowed down to 110kph.....if I had continued at 180kph the Edmonton police wouldn't have caught me.

When they asked why I was going so fast I just said "I was just letting her loose for a bit" and the guy smiled (probably a speed freak too)

Officers like it when you are up front and don't lie to them.

So with all the circumstances I agreed to simply pay the fine and not fight it in exchange for a "non-criminal" speeding ticket.

I probably could have fought it but it wasn't worth the risk of exposing the truth that they could have nailed me for 100kph over the limit.