Just got owned

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Me

Just got owned

Post by Me »

it is only the most horrible thing that i have ever been through.
i was on a freeway onramp going a little fast and understeered right into a rather large curb :( I probably broke or bent every suspension component on the front driverside (havnt looked yet) but i did see that i snapped the passenger side motor mount in half and the belts are slammed to the wheel well.
but body damage wise nothing but new wheels and a new front bumber cover cant fix.
looks like im stuck going 55mph on the freeway with my super beetle :(
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Your Super Beettle only does 55?!? :shock:

My 1969 Beetle will do 130mph without blinking.
Maybe it's the engine I have in it. :twisted:

1710cc
Forged Mahle pistons
Forged rods
high flow oil channels
Engle 110 cam
Polished dual port heads
2 barrel webber carb
MSD electronic ignition
Bosch .009 distributor
8mm Magnacore wires
Stainless steel Kadron performance exhaust
external oil cooler
high flow oil pump

Yeah ... it's gotta be the engine. :)

LOL

Before I put that engine in, the stock 1600cc would do 100mph without struggling.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

How did you hit the curb if you wernt pushing the car? Ive driven really hard on the street tons of times and ive only spun twice, both times there was alot of crap in the road.. i mean ALOT. Other than that i dont think ive ever gotten close to hitting anything
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

so sad to hear that man... but from what you discribed it seems you were dirving like crazy... good thing you got out of that unhurt.

hey OZ... any pics of your VW?? i used to have a 1972 beetle with a 1.3 engine and the max. speed i got out of her was 68 MPH.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

i can see how this would happen.... a lot of times freeway on ramps are banked to the outside (stupid) which can cause strange weight shift and bad understeer even at a slower speed. i had a similar situation happen to me 5 days after getting my woo... let me explain...

i was going UP a very curvy road. i was going 75 and began to understeer horribly, so i applied the left foot braking technique... little did i know, that i had turned the wheel so much. the car grabbed in the trun and i actually over-steered... thus i hit the curb going some 70 miles an hour... i dented the steel rim all the way to the brake disc... had to get a new disc (pasenger side, it was a right hander). blew the strut up through the body work and through the hood (broke the flange from the top), i kept going off road, out of control, and ended up denting three of my four wheels and had to replace all my braking system. so... after a whole two seconds off road, i decided to get back to the road cause i knew i'd messed up BAD. now, i was on a hill, the car was leaning (driver's side down), so i slowly (going 45 or so) went back towards the road... once there, both my diver's side wheels hit the pavement... i was on such a severe angle that the tires rolled off the rims and the rims bent under... now all four rims are dented, one in two ways.... also, the front BROKE the knuckle and the entire wheel bent under the car...

was considered totalled... but i rebuilt her and had the title marked as salvaged 8)

ah the joys of understeering your woo and f**king up the suspension...
Me

Post by Me »

no wasnt driving crazy at all. it was first day rain and it was on a bridge so i had no room for adjustment, i thought about e-brake but than my rear would hit first with the front following it.
about my bug i just got it last month for $250 and its now my daily driver so i dont want to push it more than i have to.
its a 1600cc and the body is strait except for the rusted floor pans and a rust hole in the passenger rear quarter pannel
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Sucks to hear about your car.

I bought a 67 Beetle with a Dual port 1600 for $200 just after I got out of high school..... I was very very close to dropping in a 4 cylinder Porsche engine ( porsche 912??? ) that a local VW performance shop had for sale. (since my engine wasn't running too well )

At the time they only wanted $1700 but I didn't have the money.... too bad.... it would have been fun

Even with the stock low compression on two cylinder 1600 I could lay rubber for a good five feet.

My floor was rotten as well..... I ended up fixing it with fibreglass.

I had a Karman Ghia front end on my Beetle but I had problems with the front right caliper siezing up once in a while when driving.

When I went to sell it one of the guys nearly killed himself.... he hit the brakes hard and the car immediatly started pulling very hard.... he ended up in the ditch.... and it scared the crap out of the guy.

At first I thought he was trying to negotiate a better price but he told me he wouldn't take it even if I payed him money.

I sold it next day to a cop.... I told him everything that was wrong with it including the brakes and he gave me the full asking price ($600) without a test drive.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

The 912 and 914 both had an available 4 cyl in 1.7L, 1.8L or 2.0L.
The 912 only ever had a 4 cyl, but the 914 was also available with the 6cyl from a 911. :)

I lost traction and slid my Beetle in the rain around acorner once and hit the curb so hard the steel wheel was actually bent and wobbling badly. DOOH!

Car damage sucks.