Turbo vs. Super

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

KnightWalace wrote:The main thing was ...
Supercharger is making 80-100 hp at 5 psi
Turbosharger is making 80-100 hp at 8 psi.
:? :? What??? 100hp @5psi from a Supercharger and 100hp @8psi from a turbo?????

There is something very seriously wrong about that statement.

It should be the other way around.... 100hp @8psi from the supercharger and 100hp @5psi from the turbo

The Supercharger in your picture doesn not have an intercooler so it will be way hotter than the air from an intercooled turbo.

This would make a huge difference.... I doubt that you could make 100hp with a supercharger if it did not use an intercooler.

The good thing about a turbo that it is easy to simply turn up the boost to make more power..... you can purchase electronic boost controllers.... so you can coast around town on 7psi to save on gas (and still have some serious power) and then when you want to race you click a button and wham you have 12psi on tap.

A 2.4L engine with 9.5:1 compression will make way more than 100hp at 8psi with an intercooled turbo.

I would roughly esitmate that it should be making about 250whp at 8psi ( so roughly 300hp at the crank )

I don't know what your engine makes in stock form but I bet that 300hp at the crank is more than a 100hp gain.

With a 9.5:1 compression you might have to run some high octane fuel to keep it happy.

If you only want 100hp (at the crank) then the supercharger might be the easiest upgrade.

If you want more than that a turbo is definitly the best way to go.

If you do buy the supercharger I would strongly suggest that you drop in an intercooler..... it will certainly help keep the engine from detonating in hot conditions.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Erfinder wrote:
KnightWalace wrote:The main thing was ...
Supercharger is making 80-100 hp at 5 psi
Turbosharger is making 80-100 hp at 8 psi.
:? :? What??? 100hp @5psi from a Supercharger and 100hp @8psi from a turbo?????

There is something very seriously wrong about that statement.

It should be the other way around.... 100hp @8psi from the supercharger and 100hp @5psi from the turbo

The Supercharger in your picture doesn not have an intercooler so it will be way hotter than the air from an intercooled turbo.

This would make a huge difference.... I doubt that you could make 100hp with a supercharger if it did not use an intercooler.

The good thing about a turbo that it is easy to simply turn up the boost to make more power..... you can purchase electronic boost controllers.... so you can coast around town on 7psi to save on gas (and still have some serious power) and then when you want to race you click a button and wham you have 12psi on tap.

A 2.4L engine with 9.5:1 compression will make way more than 100hp at 8psi with an intercooled turbo.

I would roughly esitmate that it should be making about 250whp at 8psi ( so roughly 300hp at the crank )

I don't know what your engine makes in stock form but I bet that 300hp at the crank is more than a 100hp gain.

With a 9.5:1 compression you might have to run some high octane fuel to keep it happy.

If you only want 100hp (at the crank) then the supercharger might be the easiest upgrade.

If you want more than that a turbo is definitly the best way to go.

If you do buy the supercharger I would strongly suggest that you drop in an intercooler..... it will certainly help keep the engine from detonating in hot conditions.

This kit is now available. Kit produces 248 h.p. and 262 torque. That is 80+ h.p. than stock. Kit includes everything needed to install. Comes with BiG 16G TURBO, Tial External wastegate, Ceramic Coated Tubular Turbo Manifold, Turbo Downpipe ,RRM Front Mount Intercooler, BOV, all piping, fuel management system, Injectors etc. and complete oil system. It is everything one needs to turn your Mivec Engine into a turbo powerhouse. Installer friendly and reliable! Call us for details.

thats dyno proven, i'm not the mood to find the actual dyno sheet on the EvoM forums.

was just reading what the Ripp Mods site said..

but after watching the Vids of Manny (RRM's Guy that buys the first everything) Lag is non Existant.

So we're gaining 80 Hp but 100 tq.

Stock the Ralliarts (at the crank) is 162 hp/162 tq.

http://www.goedvolk.com/lionel/rrmvsstock.wmv

thats a vid of manny's speedo vs. a stock speedo during a drag...

Manny didn't do as well because he's not quite up to speed on doing the 1st to 2nd shift with the turbo, cuz that hit's quick...

http://home.comcast.net/~mike_yi/IM000047.AVI
http://home.comcast.net/~mike_yi/IM000051.AVI
http://home.comcast.net/~mike_yi/IM000052.AVI

tell me thats not a good turbo system?
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

also with that grouping

Our downpipe is practically a kink, dyno proven up to 14 hp by getting an aftermarket downpipe (the RRM turbo kit comes with a 3inch turbo downpipe)

I wanna get this exhaust.

3" VRS exhaust, Stainless steel, Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat/Resonator and a Megan Spec-II Carbon Fiber/ Titanium Exhaust

So my mods by summer will be,

RRM body kit, RRM Turbo, Kartboy Short Shifter (30% shift reduction over our already short shifter) and shifter and underhood bushings, and Exhaust. Then Boe from RRM is making a really great Fuel Rail... I'm grabbing that... then when i get ready to start really tuning

I'm going to better the fuel line/pressure (fuel rail, injectors, AEM EMS standalone kit) then beef up the internals Pauter Titanium 4G63 Rods, Ross or Wiseco 8.5:1 Pistons, we're waiting on cams and camshafts... eventually valves and valve springs... and i'm not sure of what else..

But when i Nos my engine i'm going to have it setup that it comes one with the Mivec system when Engaged in 3rd gear.

Lemme know what you think of my setup... (mivec is roughly 3k-3500 rpms.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.