Automatic Transmission Burnout.

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Automatic Transmission Burnout.

Post by BosnianLanos »

Hypothetical question, I don't plan to do burnouts in my Lanos, but how does one go about doing an automatic transmission burnout. I know that our small 1.5-2.2L engines have a hard time at it, but how do cars such as Ford trucks or Chevy Trucks go about doing them.

I've heard: Rev it high in neutral and then with the foot on the gas put it into drive.

Possible?

Also: Put it into "1", plant your foot on the brake, and gas it up with your other foot, and when the revs get high enough, let the brake go. This @ 2000 RPM on a Civic made it begin, but I didn't want to hold it.

Main reason that I'm asking is that I was riding in my friends F-150 V8 the other night and since I'm the "car" guy amongst my friends, he asked me how to go about doing one, I wasn't really sure and I didn't want to mess up his truck, I told him I didn't know.

Any Suggestions?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

With my dads disel truck you can just hold the brake down and push the gas a little bit and it will spin as much as you want.. but thats the 570tq too.

I tried it with my moms expedition and it didnt work as well but i let off the brake with a little gas and it pealed out decently
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I doubt that we're making enuf low end torque to power brake burnout. I used to be able to spin them off the line just by mashin' on the gas.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Snail

Post by Snail »

High revving and slamming it into D is a great way to break your gearbox :)

Seriously, its not like a manual having it in 1st and 'dumping the clutch', more like revving the hell out of it in neutral, the slamming the clutch in and pushing into 1st... good way to munch gears...

You'll have a better hope at doing it in the auto's 1st gear function, then by holding the brake and revving then releasing... Though the car needs to be capable of some good low range torque to accomplish that properly I'd imagine. Not terribly sure if Lanos' have such torque :(
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Going up the hill.... I'm sure you'll be able to do a burn out then.
rev320

Post by rev320 »

Come on up to Wisconsin. We'll be getting about 5 inches of snow tonight. You'll be able to spin your wheels all you want. No problem. . . .
Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Its been raining down here for the past few days... not really heavy, but just enough to get that perfect mix we like to call "Florida Ice" (light warm sprinkle and road oil runoff). Yesterday was the first time I have every slid in my dad's Honda. Left hand turn @ 40 MPH. Car felt surprisingly stable, even if it was a Honda. Strangely enough, just by pushing down halfway on the accelerator pedal on a Honda from a stop or in a turn will get it to do crazy things...
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Ahhh the good ol' "Neutral Drop".

Yes they are bad but I've done many of them with my Lanos. Surprisingly this Hydromatic tranny is quite tough and withstood the ill effects of the dreaded "Neutral Drop"

I do not recommend anyone else doing this and assume no responsibility for those that do. :-D
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Something I read on the SRO magazine website earlier today after reading Snail's post.

If you are doing an automatic transmission launch in a drag race, not a burnout, bury your foot in the brake, put the car in neutral, rev the engine once and quickly remove your foot to allow the pedal to pop up (idea is to get the TB butterfly to stick shut in the rev) This apparently will cause a "vacuum spike" which will allow you to bury your foot even deeper on the brake pedal. With the brakes all nice and locked up, you can rev higher and longer to get a faster launch off the line.

I'll try it tomorrow. :shock: When I just try brake and rev for a launch, the Daewoo rolls forward whereas the Honda does not, this allows the Honda to get a better launch even though it is slower.