Tire pressure

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Tire pressure

Post by kinkyllama »

After like 2 months somehow my tires got down to all four in the low 30's PSI (supposed to be 45) That explains why i was getting poor gas milege. Pumped those babys up now im getting 25 mpg avg. Which is good considering i havnt gotten on the freeway once and its holidays (stop and go). Oh yeah i forgot the fact that i went out and drove 40 miles just messing around last night.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

45psi???
What tires do you have?
I don't know of tires that need to be that high.
Most tires, if you use that much, will wear out the centers of the tread too fast.
The owner's manual in my Leganza calls for 29psi, but I like to use 32 to get a little harder ride and a little better gas milage without wearing the center of the tread too soon.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Copper zeon. Thats what it says on the tires im almost possitive. I looked twice. Damn i hope thats right :shock:
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

my kumho tires call for 45min psi... rides like a rock.. after 15k miles still have lots of rubber
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the psi on the tires is the "max" psi it can handle... you should adjust your tires according to the car manufacturer sepc.

on my Lanos it says 32 psi where my pirelli tires have a max of 45 psi.

higher psi makes the car more responsive, harder ride feel, better gas milage but could make the tires wear more from the center... also under very hot conditions the air expands and if you wee too close to the max psi of the tire it could expload. usualy this is used at racing tracks for better hadling purposes and nothing more.

low psi makes a car feel comfortable but a bit sluggish at handling and responsivness , low gas milage and could cause the tires to wear from the sides... the only real beneft of low psi is when you are stuck in mud or sand, low psi makes the contact surface of the tire much bigger and the tire softer so you can pull out from mud or sand easier. it is not at all recommended to do that on paved roads.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

You guys all nutters... :lmao:

besides the brand and stuff... i always use 25 psi at the back and 30 psi at the front... for drag racing after 1 run (to get the maximum presure) i set it at 24 psi to improve the grip... after that i get to a gas station to put the normal pressure back since thats not good for cornering...
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph