Purchased a Japanese Mini Truck

General, Humor, Post here everything that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Top speed is only around 60MPH but there is also a supercharged version.

They get about 50-55 MPG out of a 660CC 3 Cylinder Mitsubishi motor connected to a 5spd tranny. ( that's city driving !!!! )

It only weighs 1100lbs so it's not much more than a quad or motorcycle.

The gearing is crazy.... 1st is good to about 5mph, 2nd to 10mph, 3rd to 15MPH... then 4th and 5th spread out a bit.

I tried to go through an intersection and ended up shifting from 2nd to 3rd half way through because the engine was nearing redline!!!!

Takes some getting use to.... now I start out in 2nd and immedialy shift to 3rd or 4th.

It's so tiny that it doesn't feel weird that its Right hand drive.... I can touch the other door without stretching.

Right now I'm using it..... I'm down here taking a break for a bit..... allready took about 2 Cubic yards of dirt off my trailer and into the mini truck ( doing landscaping at my house in the city )
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

buddha102 wrote:maybe 22's chrome? :lol:
Funny story... it has 4X114.3 pattern... so same as my optra .... I have a set of 18" chrome with low profile Toyo tires that will just barely fit.

They are like 4" larger in diameter so I can't drive with them on..... but I'm going to put them on and take a picture for the fun of it.

I'm told that these little mitsubishi engines can get 200,000 to 300,000 miles on them before repair work is needed.... so I have a feeling it might be a while before I drop in another engine.

But yes... if the engine does go I will be looking at other alternatives..... thought about a big turboed street bike engine.... 15,000 RPM with a few hundred horse would be fun and definitly help with the gear ratio issues. :evil:
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

lol haha :lol:
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Reason I asked about top speed and mpg is I'm thinking about getting something like that if I can get a used one...I wonder what the supercharged one runs like?

Jimmy
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Keep in mind you have different rules in the USA..... your imports must be 25 years or older..... ours here in Canada only have to be 15 ( so we have lots of Skyline GTR's running around town )

Personally..... if I was in the USA and looking for something I would look for a bare bones Ford Ranger with a 4cyl and 5spd.... my friend had one for about 10 years... real piece of S**T but it was really good on gas and got him from point A to B without too much trouble.

I think he ended up geting about 200,000 miles on it before it was written off.

I hate Ford's but this one is really just a Mazda B2200... and the Ford's will be cheaper than the Mazda.

I've seen the mazda B2200's with a half million miles on them.

Also an older Toyota pickup with the 22R engine will get you around cheaply.... they are also a very good truck.

Stay away from the S10.... I like GM but that was one piece of crap I wouldn't wish onto anyone.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I can purchase mini trucks here through my work and there already registered in the states...most only have around 60,000 miles and can be had for around 4500-6000 us dollars. That's why I'm considering using one for general commuting. If not one of those then I'm gonna get one of the 3 wheeled wildfire trucks but I think the ones from work would be more reliable.

Jimmy
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Oh ok.... then yes.... I'd go with the mini truck if I were you... 4 wheels are safer than 3.... most mini trucks also have 4X4 so that's nice if you need to get into a muddy area.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

Hey have you taken the pic of the truck on 18"s yet?
That would be so funny yet so awesome at the same time :D
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~