Carpet spray-glue

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Carpet spray-glue

Post by GsiTurbo »

Hey guys!

I am sort of in an early stage of planning the buildup of the rear of the car once the passenger bench is removed.

Does anyone here have a good experience with a particular fabric glue, that would work well to cover a custom interior? I want to install half-roll cage and carpet the new 'fake' floor.

Stage 2 would include a buildup of a subwoofer enclosure in the place of an exisitng spare tyre well...something similar to this...

What do you think?

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I have always had good luck with 3M Spray 74 Adhesive made specifically for fabric and foam, which is what you will be using in your car.

You can read about it here http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/adhesive4.htm

"It is used for bonding flexible urethane or latex foam together or to many other materials like wood, metal and plastics. THIS ADHESIVE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BONDING VINYL PLASTICS. Its outstanding features include extra coverage, bonds immediately."

I hope this helps.

Cliff
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

3M always make the best stuff..... but be sure not to get it on areas other than where you are gluing (suggest using poly to cover the rest of the interior when spraying).....and I suggest a long sleeve shirt when applying the spray.

The last time I did a car interior all the hairs on my arm got stiff and stuck together....had to wash my arms down with Acetone to get it off.

I use the Spray 74 all the time.....very very good adhesive qualities... I actually use it structurally to bond a brass piece to a plastic hose.

( to give you an idea of it's abilities..... we pull test this piece at 210 lbs ten times to ensure it passes our regulatory requirements)

The only thing I don't like about it is the "immediate" bond.... there is no extra chances to get things right....if you stick the carpet down and try to pull it off again the bottom side of the carpet will actually stay on the glue section..... which can sometimes lead to a tear if the material is really thin.
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

Thanks for the tips guys...now, as far as the 'round' surfaces go..is there anything I should know about b4 glueing the carpet?

Post by DomWoo »

where do you guys normally get carpets like that??

i have been looking for a black and yellow carpet in that style and cant find anything close in this town, not even plain black
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I get black, charcoal grey and light grey from the roll at Lowes. I do not know if all the Lowes building supply store. As for yellow, I would suggest you start calling custom upholstery shops.