amp and subs

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

amp and subs

Post by kinkyllama »

Well i gave up on the tempest. I decided that im probably going to go with two subs.

Im pretty sure i wanna go with this amp: http://sonicelectronix.com/item_367.html

It seams to be a very good bang for the buck plus ive heard good things about it. I dont think i really wanna use the full wattage its rated for though. I have one sub running about 250rms (wayyy over powered. lol) and my componets running off the deck and at full volume i can get the car to dim a tiny bit. So i dont wanna over do it.. plus im getting an amp for my CDTs. I have all ground wires and a yellow top battery. Just need to upgrade the alternator wire.

Anyways any subs you guys recommend? Ill be building a ported box for it and i still like the idea of getting a adire audio sub but am having a hard time finding what RMS wattage they run at

Thanks,
Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

I have a pair of 12" MTX 5500 series.

300 rms each.

They sound good.
T18SED Engine.

kroz123
Expert

Re: amp and subs

Post by kroz123 »

kinkyllama wrote:I have all ground wires and a yellow top battery.
Where did you get the grounding, did you build it yourself?
And what model is your yellowtop batt, I have one 2.
(750cca)
Last edited by kroz123 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
T18SED Engine.

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

The ground wire upgrade is very easy and very inexpensive if you use 4ga Flexaprene welding cable available at most welding supply shops.

Here are my upgraded ground and power cables.
I think everything cost under $13US for the cable & terminal connecters.

http://www.totalglobaldomination.org/im ... oo/ground/

Don't waste your money on an ebay grounding kit.

Cliff
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:The ground wire upgrade is very easy and very inexpensive if you use 4ga Flexaprene welding cable available at most welding supply shops.

Cliff
Yeah it seems inexpensive but can I use audio ground wires too?
T18SED Engine.

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

rr__kroz123 wrote:
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:The ground wire upgrade is very easy and very inexpensive if you use 4ga Flexaprene welding cable available at most welding supply shops.

Cliff
Yeah... i used audio wires.. just costs a bit more. Still probably did it for under 15bux which included brush on electric tape.. which didnt end up working to well.

i think i have a 650cca. I really didnt have much of a choice.. no 1 had them locally and everyone online wanted to rape me for shipping
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

jorge wrote:What do you think.
Too much power and too cheap for so much power.. id be worried about quality
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

rr__kroz123 wrote:I have a pair of 12" MTX 5500 series.

300 rms each.

They sound good.
Im not really intrested in used. But around how much? and how long were they used for? and most important, why dont you want them?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

rr__kroz123 wrote:
What do you mean by "audio ground wires" ?
Copper wire is copper wire no matter what color the plastic on the outside is or what is printed on the roll or box it came in.
Don't fall for the "Oxygen free copper" as advertised by some companies because if it had oxygen in it at all, it would be gree with oxidation.

As long as the wire you use is the correct guage to support the amperage draw, it does not matter what the wire is.

I use 4ga welding cable from my battery to my fuse block, then to the back of the car and into the distrobution block. From there, it is still welding cable that goes to the amplifiers. It is VERY inexpensive (I think I paid something like $0.60US per foot) and perfect for the job. Electrical arc welding requires high amperage draw so the cable can handle it while being flexible, strong and resistant to heat, abrasian and oil/gas/chemicals.

Cliff
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

So what sub setup do you guys think would give me the best sound? I listen to everything from hip-hop, trace, all the way to very fast metal.. so i want subs that can hit hard yet keep up with fast pace music.

do you think i'd be better off w/ two 10s? or what...?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

kinkyllama wrote:
rr__kroz123 wrote:I have a pair of 12" MTX 5500 series.

300 rms each.

They sound good.
Im not really intrested in used. But around how much? and how long were they used for? and most important, why dont you want them?
How much power they can handle is 600watts, I'm just suggesting so I have this setup now in my car. I'm not interested in selling them.
T18SED Engine.

kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

kinkyllama wrote:So what sub setup do you guys think would give me the best sound? I listen to everything from hip-hop, trace, all the way to very fast metal.. so i want subs that can hit hard yet keep up with fast pace music.

do you think i'd be better off w/ two 10s? or what...?
Well If I were you I'd go with two 10", a friend of mine told me that 10" sounds better than 12" cuz the cone on 12" is to hard, the cone on the 10" is more flexible so you'd get better sound.
My cousin had a box with three 10" (MTX) it sounded very very good, better then the one 12" double voice coil tht he has now (which he burned the voice coils so now it doesn't work anymore).
He decided now to go with an bazooka style enclosure Audiobahn brand, I don't know why.
T18SED Engine.

kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:
rr__kroz123 wrote:
Copper wire is copper wire no matter what color the plastic on the outside is or what is printed on the roll or box it came in.
Don't fall for the "Oxygen free copper" as advertised by some companies because if it had oxygen in it at all, it would be gree with oxidation.

As long as the wire you use is the correct guage to support the amperage draw, it does not matter what the wire is.

I use 4ga welding cable from my battery to my fuse block, then to the back of the car and into the distrobution block. From there, it is still welding cable that goes to the amplifiers. It is VERY inexpensive (I think I paid something like $0.60US per foot) and perfect for the job. Electrical arc welding requires high amperage draw so the cable can handle it while being flexible, strong and resistant to heat, abrasian and oil/gas/chemicals.

Cliff
Ok man thanx but here that I know they don't sell the welding wire so I'm going with audio ground wire instead but is it better or not????
T18SED Engine.

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

rr__kroz123 wrote:
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:
rr__kroz123 wrote:

Cliff
Ok man thanx but here that I know they don't sell the welding wire so I'm going with audio ground wire instead but is it better or not????
no.. welding cable is more flexible.. and cheaper... thats the only difference between the two
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport