front speakers

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

orangelmo

front speakers

Post by orangelmo »

hey all, just wanted to know if you changed your fronts what size did you change it to and if so was any modding to the door panel involved.

right now im trying to squeeze some 6.5s in but i want the stock look so cutting is gonna be a last resort. so if you have any tips or suggestions, fire away
Tickle me?! Dont even try it...
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

I've heard it said that you can get a jig saw and make some wooden (MDF) "doughnut" shaped circles to get 6.5s to fit. If it is a Lanos (you didn't mention), you wouldn't have to cut anything because the Lanos has really big plastic mounts for the 4" speakers, if they are removed, the 6.5s will fit no problem.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Hopefully they are thin 6.5s!

It can be done, ive fitted 6.5 Kenwood Component speakers in the front doors underneath the standard trim without cutting it (for the woofer, it has a tweeter and i had to drill some out to mount that). They are quite thin speakers though.

MDF rings are definetly the way to go! Its what i used and then had some sound deadener material to seal off any air gaps between the ring and the inner door skin.

--Tim
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

sorry, yea its a lanos. the model of speakers i have are the pioneer ts-a1680r. i made and mdf ring as well as a mount similar to the one of the stock one its about the same height as that plastic thing but i think i need like an 1/8" more to for the magnet not to touch that bar/pole in the door. i still think it'll clear just not sure abuout the tweeter :cry: . hopefully it all works out. its not that i wouldn't cut the panel, i just want a nice clean look.

also did anyone do anything to strengthen the panels, they seem really flimsy. one more thing, filling the door up with foam good idea or bad? there is a lot of room and would make it more solid. i remember someone saying they did it
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

Just make a really thin ring and screw/glue the two together :)

Get some sound deadner (like brown bread https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au/jay ... &URL=index) and cover the plastic door skin - i used 2 tubes per door - well worth it. You can go all out and tar/foam all the gaps up and everything so there are no rattles at all but its unlikely you'll hear them if the music is loud enough to make rattles after the sound deadening or its worth the hassle/cost.

You could always go the cheaper route and just use really strong duct tape 8)

--Tim
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I have 6.5" speakers in my door, and they are by no means thin.
The MDF rings I made are multi-layered and are 1 3/4" thick. I thought I had some pics posted, but don't know where they are. When I get home after work today, I will look for the pics on my computer and post them again.

I recomend using sound deadening material over the whole inside of your door. I have 3 layers and the mid bass and mis range is very greatly improved.

Oh yeah, you may want to use some thin plastic, like plastic milk jug or from a 2L pop bottle to make rain shields for the backs of the speakers. I had one set of speakers without the rain shields at the back and the speakers got wet on the back where rain came down inside the doors.

Cliff
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

does anyone who did it have pics? just want to see how yours fit. cuz at this point im having some difficulty. right now the the door panel won't fit over the ring. to try and compensate i hav to trim it the mdf ring and the tweeter doesnt sit in the middle of the hole.
ubuyau
Expert

Post by ubuyau »

I havent got any pictures of the install process, but my MDF rings are the exact size of the outer diameter of the speaker - pretty well only the size of the speaker (no overlap).
I had to file down some of the sides and i have to push the door trim over the speaker (be careful not to damage the speaker) while using/tightening the screws to hold the door trim on.

--Tim
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

which colour is the ground again? i havent installed speakers in this car in such a long time and i forgot which is which. is the grey one the ground, or is it the brown with the white stripe?

finally finished re cutting the mdf rings again and got one fitted and mounted. now for the driver side
Blue Lanos

Post by Blue Lanos »

CzechoSlovak LANOS Club http://www.lanosclub.com
CzechoSlovak Daewoo Forum http://www.daewooclub.com
My lanos - Cardomain.com
http://www.cardomain.com/id/27101976
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

To fit 6 1/2 speakers in the front doors. 1. remove the factory spacer. The factory spacer is a reducer to fit the 4?? speakers. 2. Buy a 1/2?? spacers to fit 6 1/2 speakers. Check it on ebay, or any sound center. The price $5.00-max.$20.00
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

orangelmo wrote:which colour is the ground again? i havent installed speakers in this car in such a long time and i forgot which is which. is the grey one the ground, or is it the brown with the white stripe?
The speakers don't use the negative wire as ground as old car radios did.
Car stereos today use what is called a "floating negative" which means that if you were to ground the negative, the radio's internal amplifier would be damaged.
naznomad
Junior

Post by naznomad »

[/quote]

Car stereos today use what is called a "floating negative" which means that if you were to ground the negative, the radio's internal amplifier would be damaged.[/quote]

Just found this post. So is this why my speakers still play normally no matter which way round they are wired?
naznomad
Junior

Post by naznomad »

[/quote]

Car stereos today use what is called a "floating negative" which means that if you were to ground the negative, the radio's internal amplifier would be damaged.[/quote]

Just found this post. So is this why my speakers still play normally no matter which way round they are wired?
libtech75

Post by libtech75 »

I put Polk 5" speakers into the doors of my 99 Nubirea. They were a direct fit. All the screw holes did not match up but three (in a triangle formation) did and so the speakers attached on tightly. Have had no problem and love the sound.

Becareful when you take off the door panels, especially the bottom portion which is prone to breakage of the retaining clips.