Power Radio Antenna (Leganza to Lanos)

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Power Radio Antenna (Leganza to Lanos)

Post by BosnianLanos »

How hard would it be to swap a power antenna from, say a, Leganza CDX into my Lanos SX?

My old stock metal whip antenna has corroded and is a true eyesore on my car, I think it is one of the only compact cars with a true whip antenna. Not to mention I feel like a bumper car going down the street! :D

Mechanically, I think it is feasible, as the base from the Leganza antenna and my whip one look identical. I also think, that with my countless removals of the trunk panels, that I remember that there is enough space to either mount it stock, or make a bracket for it.

Only problem is the electronics. What is the hook up? Does the antenna somehow get a signal to "power up" through the antenna cable or do I have to ground it and put a +12 V source with some kind of sensor for the radio to signal it to telescope out?

I was thinking something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=33639

Maybe not this exact one, but I have seen many being sold on Ebay.

Thanks for all of your help guys, as I have been looking into this mod for a while.

(BTW: I have a sedan Lanos SX, and thats why I think the mounting is the same.)
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I have not looked at the Leganza antenna, but I am sure it is just like every other power antenna out there.

The antenna gets it's signal from the radio's "Power Antenna Remote" wire, or in the case of some after market radios, just using the remote turn on wire that is used to turn on amplifiers.

Some people like to manually install a power wire with a switch so they can control when the antenna goes up & down.
For example, someone with an FM modulated CD changer or satellite radio that uses ... for example, 88.7 FM as the station for the CD changer, may find that with their antenna up, a strong radio station that is broadcasting at 88.7 will interfere with and possibly overpower their in-car CD changer. This means you can not enjoy your CDs that are in your changer!

If you manually control the antenna, you can lower the antenna, which will reduce the amount of signal being picked up from the radio station and make your CD changer or satellite radio or what ever you have, sound a lot better.

I want to do this myself, because I have a whip antenna and am constantly getting out of the car to remove the antenna and put it in the back seat so that I can listen to my Sirius satellite radio without interferance from outside radio stations broadcasting at the same frequency.

The connections needed for a power antenna are:

The antena coax from the back of the radio, a remote turn on power lead and possibly a ground wire, but the power antenna unit may just ground on the body where it bolts or screws in place.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Cliff
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i am pretty sure of the power trigger thingy... o nmy cassette manual it labled the trigger wire (amp/ antenna trigger).

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

Does the stock Daewoo CD/Cassette/Radio have this lead? Not that it matters since I'm getting a new head unit.

Man I wish my CD player still worked in my car, I would be able to make up most of the cost of a new head unit if I sold the old one working on Ebay. I have seen ones go for like $110.00.

With a busted CD player, I hope to get maybe $10.00.

I don't know if it is repairable. I have taken the thing apart and put it back together like five times(I have some experience :? ), changed the fuse and nothing. It just loads the CD but it doesn't play. Any ideas?

BTW: Thanks for all of your help!!!

Damir.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i can't really tell as i live so far away and we have a different package than yours but as a rule in here; the full option Daewoos comes with power antenna so the cassetts they have must have a power trigger.

the Lanoses and Nubbies arround here comes with Clarion cassette and it does have the power trigger, i don't know what you have as stock on your ride but i am sure it will have one... almost all new cassettes and CD playes have that trigger and usualy it is a blue with white stripe wire including a 0.5 AMP fuse.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
giga_matt

Post by giga_matt »

Hi Guys,

Glad to see other people are having the same idea as me.

I live near alot of students (Well i am one myself) and it seems to be too tempting for them when drunk to bend the Aerial (Antenna) on my Lanos.

Had enough and have decided to install an electric Aerial (Or Power Antenna as you guys call them). Had been looking for a while on eBay at ones from other cars or cheapo ones which work in "all" cars. I then found a Daewoo one and won it pretty cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5746421152

Bit of a gamle whether it will install straight in or not (May even be for a Lanos), may require a bit of midification but not a problem.

Its too cold at the moment to fit it and so am waiting for a warmer day.

I already have a 12V wire going into my boot for my amplifier and i am going to wire the Aerials 'Power Antenna Remote' connection into the 'Automatic Power-On' wire going into the Amp.

This means that the Antenna will only go up when the head unit is turned on and will go back down when its turned off or the ignition is off.

Has anyone else tried fitting one of these Antennas into their Lanos. Its model number is 8941005800 - anyone know what it fits by the code or looking at the pics?

Thanks,
Signed By MATT!

lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i was thinking about doing the same thing but then thought i don't listen to the radio so i just got it shaved off. :lol:

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.