HELP!! Fuel guage not working (Lanos 1.6SX Hatchback)

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

2000_red_lanos

HELP!! Fuel guage not working (Lanos 1.6SX Hatchback)

Post by 2000_red_lanos »

Hey, can I pick you guys' Daewoo brains here?!?

Just got a Lanos and the dashboard fuel guage isn't working so I don't know how much fuel is in the tank.

All of the other dashboard stuff (speedometer, temp guage etc) works ok. The fuel pump is working (I know because I can hear it working) and have replaced the fuel relay in the engine fuse-box too.

Any ideas what else (or where else) I should be looking to fix this problem???

Your expert help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks.
damian007vk
Super

Post by damian007vk »

the fuel pump has an incorporated sending unit, which is what tells your gauge how much fuel u got in the tank. Maybe the sending unit got stuck with the fuel pump filter. This might have happened if you just recently changed the fuel pump, or maybe a harsh bump, or very harsh brake, or if the car was on a lift at an angle.
2000_red_lanos

Post by 2000_red_lanos »

damian007vk wrote:the fuel pump has an incorporated sending unit, which is what tells your gauge how much fuel u got in the tank. Maybe the sending unit got stuck with the fuel pump filter.
Thanks Damian... so if this is what's happened - can I do anything to fix the sending unit? Or would I have to buy a new fuel pump to resolve the problem? Thanks for your help!
damian007vk
Super

NP

Post by damian007vk »

it depends, did you recently have it changed, inspected or serviced? They might have just put it inside the tank in a wrong angle, and the sending unit might have gotten caught up with the fuel pump filter. This happened to me when I changed my fuel pump. I had to remove it again, and reinstall it, and all was fine. The sending unit is not sold by itself and neither is the fuel filter, it is sold only as an entire assembly. Just think about when it started happening, and what might have caused it. I dont really think it would be your gauge cluster not marking. It is either like I said, that the sending unit is defective, caught on something (filter) or that one of the plugs (either 2 or 3) that plug into your fuel pump is not plugged in properly. The sending unit is very simple design. It is just two little plastic white cube shaped pieces attached to thin piece of metal that float, and depeding on how high or low they float, it sends that info to the electronic gauge in your dash. I mean u can also check and change your fuel filter, and check u have no fuel leaks at the fuel rail or Fuel pressure regulator, and that your fuel injectors are clean, but this really shouldnt be the reason.