CB Radio Redneck!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

CB Radio Redneck!

Post by BosnianLanos »

I just bought a CB Radio for my car...

Don't ask why, because I don't even know :oops: , maybe the fact that I got it new for four bucks at the Thrift Shop I volunteer at.

Well, I hooked it up, (fits perfectly where ashtray used to be) and of course it powers on and everything, but the kit came without an antenna, and now I am in a dilemma on how to hook one up :( .

I don't want to have one of those big offroad metal ones sticking out of my trunk, and in fact, I don't even want any other one besides our giant stock radio one which can signal space :lol: .

Now, I know it seems like a longshot, but does anyone here know anything about CB Radios :?:

Question:

Is there any kind of antenna that mounts onto the glass like the Honda-type antennas (looks like defroster wires)?

Mainly, would it work if I just bought some Coaxial antenna cable and spliced it to stock antenna wire that comes out of the back of the radio?

I know it's a longshot, but please help :? !!

Damir.
woo
Expert

Re: CB Radio Redneck!

Post by woo »

dont know if this would work, but our boat has the areal under the edge of the carpet on the floor. It was done like that at the place we got the sterio done and seems to work, so you could try that if all else fails.
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

There are glass mount CB antennas, but they don't receive well and you don't get much broadcast range.

The optimal place for a CB antenna is the center of the roof; the taller, the better, espeically if it has a properly tuned load coil build in.

The problem with CB is the really bad sound quality.
I read an article about redesigning CB equipment to broadcast digitally over the same freequencies, which will give 100% clear transmit & receive voice.

Cliff